News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Gold copies — keep them close

Home Forums AskWoody blog Gold copies — keep them close

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

ON SECURITY By Susan Bradley Recently, I realized that some of the items I needed to download were no longer available from the links I had been using
        [See the full post at: Gold copies — keep them close]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
        bbotz
        AskWoody Plus

Bad news (sorry!) The link you gave for SyncToy on the WayBack site returns a message saying the WayBack Machine has not archived that url. I was able to search the site to find a version 2.1, but I don’t know if that was the last release…

Susan Bradley
          Manager

2.1 was the last release. I know when I wrote the article the links were good. Sometimes with the wayback machine you have to try several times and find a good link.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

joltar
        AskWoody Plus

I recently was trying to update my Dinax Mirage RIP software since my Epson 3880 died an unnatural death and I’m awaiting a seemingly long delayed B&H delivery of a P900.  Initially my Acronis backup software’s malware protection stopped the download,  Then Win 10’s protection interrupted the full installation.  Checking the properties of the download showed a check box that indicates I could un block it,  But I finally had to turn off Win 10’s checking if the store had an alternative.  All this took me unaware of these changes in Win 10 softare download protection.  Well intentioned I’m sure (possibly to also steer business to the Microsoft store editions of software, which are often crippled and don’t have  the full features of th originals), but also frustrating to turn off.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

This why I say keep copies. It’s not to get you to use Microsoft store copies, rather it’s to get developers to code more securely.  Printer drivers are often a source of malicious software.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Gold copies — keep them close

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.