News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Google and Justice

Posted on Lars220 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Rumors and what-ifs Google and Justice

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Lars220
        AskWoody Lounger

Justice Department files antitrust lawsuit against Google

By Jimmy Westenberg – 20 October 2020 – Android Authority

“It’s been a long time coming, but the US Department of Justice has filed a lawsuit against Google, citing the search giant’s long-running dominance in online search and anti-competitive practices in search advertising.”

Google sued by US Department of Justice in search monopoly

By Charlie Osborne for Between the Lines – October 20, 2020 – ZDNet

“Regulators allege that Google is violating antitrust laws with its iron grip on search and related advertising. Google has become the subject of an antitrust lawsuit launched by the US Department of Justice (DoJ).”

How I Fully Quit Google (And You Can, Too)

By Nithin Coca – Jul 9, 2018 · 12 min read – Medium,com – Cybersecurity

“It’s been a year since this was published, and I’m still Google-free! Here’s my follow-up story on how it is to live outside the Google-bubble, and why more than ever before we need to ramp up the fight for a free, open, and decentralized web.”

Alternatives to Google Products

By Sven Taylor – June 24, 2019 – Restore Privacy com

“This guide aims to be the most exhaustive resource available for documenting alternatives to Google products. It has become one of the most popular guides on Restore Privacy and is regularly updated with new information.”

Whoever said Giggle is controversial?

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2305874 Reply
        anonymous

? says:

thanks for posting this, Lars. i love google almost as much as win7 but hey they already know that about me. no question mark for them ? check out this story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/10/19/google-search-results-monopoly/

PS https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-monopolist-google-violating-antitrust-laws

• #2306072 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Lars2020 and Anonymous for starting this thread and then making the follow on comment needed to bring it more fully to other people’s attention. Thanks also for those informative articles you both have given links to in your posted comments.

I am placing here another link to yet another article, this time from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54619148

Excerpts follow. But I must say that, in my opinion, a charge of monopolistic practices does not seem to me as quite the best case to be brought against Google or, perhaps, the most likely to be made successfully, later in court . There are several other search engines still around and I have not seen any signs that they are being driven out of business by “Big Google.” It might be the most used search engine, but what they have to say about it being so entirely by the the free choice of its users seems about right to me (but I am not a lawyer, so what do I know). Here are the excerpts:

The US government has filed charges against Google, accusing the company of violating competition law to preserve its monopoly over internet searches and online advertising.

The lawsuit marks the biggest challenge brought by US regulators against a major tech company in years.

It follows more than a year of investigation and comes as the biggest tech firms face intense scrutiny of their practices at home and abroad.

Google called the case “deeply flawed”.

The company has maintained that its sector remains intensely competitive and that its practices put customers first.

“People use Google because they choose to – not because they’re forced to or because they can’t find alternatives,” it said.

Google is not the only big “tech” company now finding itself squarely in the firing line of the present Administration and, in a rather unusual concurrence these days, of the US Congress as well:

Politicians in Congress have also called for action against Google and fellow tech firms Amazon, Facebook and Apple in an effort that has united Democrats and Republicans.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Google and Justice

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.