News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Google Drive Shared Files Changes

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Google Drive Shared Files Changes

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Cormy1
        AskWoody Lounger

In September, Google Drive functionality will be changed for Shared Files that you do not own. They are taking away the ability to make copies to your own drive, and so if ever the original link goes down, you will no longer have access. They will be replaced with shortcuts. I highly suggest everyone opens their shared documents, and makes copies to their own drive to maintain Google’s formatting.

Alternatively, save them locally/download them and then reupload to the Drive to be sure you don’t lose them.

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/g-suite/simplifying-google-drives-folder-structure-and-sharing-models

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/10/google-completely-ruined-shared-folders-in-drive/

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2287424 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

That’s exactly why I don’t trust anything to “Cloud” drives! Always, have a local & backup copy! 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

• #2287605 Reply
          Cormy1
          AskWoody Lounger

It doesn’t affect files that are considered yours, all of your own backups are still safe.
          It’s just “shared” files that were never yours to begin with, but you were given access to and therefore allowed to import them into your own drive.
          That will no longer be the case by default, all managing/control of the shared file will always belong to the owner of the file, which is how it should be. Generally people should be allowed to dictate how their own content is shared, and stop that sharing if they want to.
          Yes, it can always be offloaded, but of course that’s not generally seen as okay, in that you’re basically encroaching on copyright territory, creating copies you may not have been given permission to do.

Currently you can still make copies, even to your GDrive, and they won’t be taken away as you are the owner of the copies. I’m not sure if they’re taking away that feature in particular, but they are taking away the one that enables you to store shared files on your GDrive. Copies are no longer considered Shared Files, currently. Again I’m not sure if they’re going to change that behaviour.

I believe it is implied through “Moving an item will require access to share the item. Previously, only read access to the item was required” that you will still be able to make copies, but you’ll need additional permissions to do so.

I’m not familiar with much of the terminology used, as they seem to throw around the term parent in a way that I can’t grasp at the moment, they suggest items can have multiple parents, so don’t quote me on all of this.
          But it’s clear they’re giving more control to the item owners.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Google Drive Shared Files Changes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.