News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Google Killing Third-party Cookies

Posted on Kathy Stevens Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Google Killing Third-party Cookies

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  b 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Kathy Stevens
      AskWoody Plus

An interesting article on how Google’s intends to change the way ads are targeted online from our friends in Australia.

In short, Google plans on making third-party cookies “obsolete” by 2022.

The article can be found at https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-01-21/google-to-kill-third-party-cookies-privacy-and-competition/11882718

• #2087799 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Kathy Stevens: Thanks for helping to keep us informed on this permanently vexing issue of third party cookies.

For my part, I have my browsers set to “NEVER” allow third party cookies. I also have them to delete cookies on closing and, after browsing for a while, for good measure, I scan the PC for malware and use an utility in my AV software that deletes cookies and Internet “Temp” directories. I also use and ad blocker, because I can see no point on receiving as, “targeted” or otherwise, as I have hardly ever bought something just because I saw it advertised somewhere. The most ads do for me is to make me aware that there is something out there I might need, but did not know it was available. Research on the advertised article ensues, to figure out if it is (a) what I think it is and (b) if it is good enough to buy (two very different things). So, for me (also an occasional “Chrome” user, along with “Safari” and — as my default browser — “Waterfox”), what Google is doing is nice, but no big deal right now.

And, according to what is already reasonably well known and is also mentioned in the article:

If you use Google’s web browser, the upcoming end of third-party cookies may be good for the security of your online information.

But overall, Dr Sikos said using Chrome remained “one of the worst choices when it comes to user privacy” because of the company’s own tracking.”

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2088231 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Of course Google will block 3rd party cookies so as to be the sole ads provider on Chrome.

• #2088283 Reply

Kathy Stevens
      AskWoody Plus

Why the 2 year lead time for making third-party cookies “obsolete”

Aare are we on the threshold of a new form of tracking and/ advertising over the internet?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Google Killing Third-party Cookies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.