News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Google less secure/more secure setting in Windows 10

Posted on moss rawn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Google less secure/more secure setting in Windows 10

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  b 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

moss rawn
      AskWoody Lounger

Google recommends switching from less secure to more secure setting.  However when I do this (with Gmail in Outlook), e-mail stops working (connection fails).  When I go back to less secure, G mail in Outlook re-connects and works properly.  Comments anyone?

• #1948327 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

To switch to the improved security recommended by Google, you have to enable two-factor authorization for Gmail and use an “App password” for Outlook:

See Outlook and Gmail’s Less Secure Apps Setting

Microsoft’s version of the instructions are under “Outlook won’t accept my password” towards the bottom of Add a Gmail account to Outlook

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Google less secure/more secure setting in Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.