News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Got a Western Digital My Cloud device?

Home » Forums » AskWoody blog » Got a Western Digital My Cloud device?

Author
    Topic

Make sure that you know if you are supported or not – if you still plan to use these devices make sure they are NOT set to have remote/Internet access
    [See the full post at: Got a Western Digital My Cloud device?]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Susan – thanks.

I never “set up” my WD My Book (or whatever it’s called), which is probably ten years old and is connected to my oldest PC by USB.  It’s just an external HD.  I think.

How can I tell whether it’s connecting to the internet and is vulnerable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPtj3aFGdNQ  There’s usually a console that you get to by going to the IP address of the hard drive.  Once there you can see if anyone has enabled the remote access part of it.

Western Digital may have disabled it proactively earlier this year when attackers were going after the access.

Another good way to tell is by going to shields up and do a full scan to see if any ports are open https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

As time goes on, there will be more and more of this kind of “zombie” devices across the internet. They will stay because while they are wildly insecure, from the owner’s perspective, they still work. The people who should see this kind of notification and act on it will either never see it, never act on it, or never understand why they need to disable a “perfectly” functional device. For them, ignorance is bliss.

The rest of us will just suffer with a progressively less usable internet.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I’ve got 3 of these things. Got two so I could back one up to the other, later I decided to grab a dual-bay model so that I could use RAID for extra data redundancy.

I’m in the lucky case of being mildly paranoid about the threat of remote data exfiltration anyway, so mine sit on a VLAN isolated to only be able to see eachother and two other ports on the switch.
      This probably defeats the purpose of a Cloud device, but I’ve not actually needed to give someone internet based access in over two years.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Got a Western Digital My Cloud device?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.