• Got an older iPhone or iPad?

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » Got an older iPhone or iPad?

Author
    Topic

If you are still running iOS 15.7 get ready for an update: iOS 15.7.1 and iPadOS 15.7.1 iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and lat
    [See the full post at: Got an older iPhone or iPad?]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

normal folks with an iPhone or iPad who do not jailbreaking their device

Jailbreaking died years ago. ~No one is jailbreaking anymore.

Apple clarifies security update policy: Only the latest OSes are fully patched

New document confirms what security researches have observed for a few years.

Earlier this week, Apple released a document clarifying its terminology and policies around software upgrades and updates. Most of the information in the document isn’t new, but the company did provide one clarification about its update policy that it hadn’t made explicit before: Despite providing security updates for multiple versions of macOS and iOS at any given time, Apple says that only devices running the most recent major operating system versions should expect to be fully protected...

“Because of dependency on architecture and system changes to any current version of macOS (for example, macOS 13),” the document reads, “not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions (for example, macOS 12).”..

In other words, while Apple will provide security-related updates for older versions of its operating systems, only the most recent upgrades will receive updates for every security problem Apple knows about. ..This means that every year, there’s a new batch of devices that are still getting some security updates but not all of them…

3 users thanked author for this post.

Same as Win 7/8 etc etc.  You can’t bolt on security on older hardware.  However not all users have the same risks.  Risk is a scale, it’s not absolute.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Is this saying that iPadOS 15.7.1 does not provide full protection since the latest is 16.x?

While the latest version of 16 will likely have some holes in it — ones that 15.7.1 is not going to be able to plug — I would expect that 15.7.1 would plug the holes that have, as of now, been found on devices running 15.7.0. And were other (serious) holes in 15.7.1 found later on, I would expect that 15.7.2 or 15.8 (assuming there is such releases), would plug the holes that have been found since 15.7.1.

Of course, if other holes were found after 15.7.1, but no 15.7.2 or 15.8 ever came out, then the device is vulnerable and will continue to be, if it continues to be used.

But, isn’t 17.7.1 providing full protection at the time it is released? Or are there some known holes that 15.7.1 just didn’t take care of?

I am only guessing, but the way I read it is, only iOS 16 will get all security fixes while iOS 15.7.1 may be missing some fixes.

From @alex5723’s article

This confirms something that independent security researchers have been aware of for a while but that Apple hasn’t publicly articulated before.

” This is where I REALLY wish all vendors were held to a standard of documentation and explanation.  “may have been actively exploited” 

What that wording tells me is that they have no evidence that it has been actively exploited, but that their lawyers have advised them to cover themselves just in case…

2 users thanked author for this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1c7ZRAOzWc  Clearly someone still is somewhere.

1 user out of 1 Billion iPhone users ?

Or are there some known holes that 15.7.1 just didn’t take care of?

We don’t know. Apple doesn’t publish for obvious reason what hasn’t been fixed.

1 user thanked author for this post.

I’ve updated my phone to iOS 16.1.  Mine is an iPhone 13 Pro Max.  I did this two days ago, and I’m not seeing any issues.  Your mileage may vary.

Group "L": Linux Mint

Two days ago I updated my first-generation iPhone SE from iOS 15.7 to 15.7.1. I have not noticed any problems.

Deo

I have not installed them yet but only iOS 15.7.1 is available for the iPhone while iPadOS 15.7.1 and 16 are available for the iPad

iPadOS 15.7.1 and 16 are available for the iPad

… if the iPad is not a legacy device.

I have two iPads — the one I just recently purchased is an iPad Air 5th generation (2022).
        The other one, still working, is an older iPad Air 2nd generation (2014).

I have automatic updating/upgrading turned off on both devices. I do it manually a couple of weeks after the new releases become available, just to see what the shakeout has been in the meantime.

The Air 5 (2022) received a notice about the iPadOS 15.7.1 update AND a notice about an upgrade to iPadOS 16.
        The Air 2 (2014) received only a notice about the iPad OS 15.7.1 update. It’s never going to receive a notice about an upgrade to iPadOS 16 (or later), because it’s too old for that. It’s now what I think they call a legacy device.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: Got an older iPhone or iPad?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: