News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Graphics Driver question

Posted on southieguy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Graphics Driver question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  southieguy 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

This is probably the wrong place to put this question, but I still haven’t figured out how to navigate around this site.  If it does belong else where, I hope one of the site leaders will move it to the correct place.

I’ve been dealing with a stuttering screen issue on my Dell Inspiron 599 laptop.

It has an HD 520 GPU.   It’s been in the shop to have new “glue” put around the GPU to prevent heat build-up. I’ve put in the latest Intel driver offered at Dell support.

My understanding is that the 520 is an integrated unit, so I can’t just replace it with a new one (I think.).

So, after all that background, here’s my question:

If this GPU is dying, can I disable it when it dies, and run with some plain-vanilla Windows 7 graphics driver?

I would really appreciate some input regarding my options as to how to handle a dying/dead GPU.

Thank you,

Dick-Y

• #1856974 Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

The HD520 is incorporated into your Intel Skylake ix-6xxxU CPU, it cannot be changed and if it dies (incredibly unlikely), there’s no easy way to add a graphics card, replacing the CPU would be difficult enough.

Describe what you are doing when the stuttering happens, what software is running/active in the background?

• #1857115 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Satrow:

There was a whole thread addressing this issue:

How fix my stuttering screen

The stuttering happens randomly.  Sometimes, it happens when I boot up.  It often happens when I am signing in to Hotmail (1st using Chrome; now using FireFox.)

It even just happened now when I went to find the link to the above thread and then come back to this thread.

The purpose of this thread was for me to understand my alternatives if the 520 dies or is dying.

Thanks,

Dick-Y

• #1857247 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

Chrome is a massive resource hog, Firefox is try hard to emulate it. Hotmail/Outlook is MS so try IE.

Have you checked that hardware acceleration is disabled in your browsers?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1857199 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

if & when the onboard Intel HD520 graphics hardware goes out & dies, it will require a complete motherboard replacement since the graphics hardware is integrated onto the system board itself.

• #1857200 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Have you checked to see if your system is up to date with Dell drivers?
      It may possibly be a BIOS issue along with an out of date graphics driver usually marked URGENT
      https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/drivers

Best to check and if not, take it back to the PC tech shop from your previous post on 8th June 2019 #1815179

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1857297 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

One of the Dell updates offered (urgent) is a BIOS update.

Question: When I bought the laptop it came with Windows 10 preinstalled.

I deprecated it (is that the right word?) to the Windows 7 system I’ve run since then

Will that Bios update think I am a W10 system and screw up my W7 system?

Thanks for all the help offered (as always),

Dick-Y

• #1857410 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If you are downloading drivers/updates from the Dell website, after entering the service code for your computer and it being identified, the first thing you should do is choose the correct OS before looking for drivers.

• #1857448 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

There’s a “Duh” moment on my part for you.  I had entered 64-bit W7 when searching for updates.

I guess I was just nervous about updating my Bios firmware.

Thanks everyone for bearing with this old-timer,

Dick-Y

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Graphics Driver question

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.