Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Group A vs. B

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Group A vs. B

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  krutzy 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

krutzy
      AskWoody Lounger

I have tried to figure out what to do with the October Rollup that was green lighted, I think.  I asked a question and it was replied “read the thread”.  Very well I get it.  However there is in the topic and other discussions referring to “Group A” and “Group B” which throws me off of reading the thread.  I have found out that @pkcano has been very helpful to everyone, so thank you.

So I want to simply ask is there a simple way to figure out what Group I am in.  I didn’t even know about this site until September when I had issues with the September rollup attempt, so forgive me if I haven’t followed along.  I usually can figure things out but I am getting lost with in the thread.  I have turned off updates since I tried last week.

Please just tell me what to look for in the update history of my PC so tell which.  Much thanks in advance.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #231191 Reply

anonymous

Hi krutzy, everything you have written says you are Group A. Mostly these two bits

I didn’t even know about this site until September…

Please just tell me what to look for in the update history of my PC so tell which. Much thanks in advance.

Group A and B are constructs of AskWoody. Group A is the default of using the Windows Update service as designed, but with some special techniques to wrest control from Redmond. The label sets it apart from Group B. A specialized method of retrieving updates from the Catalog and installing by manual request. Elly wrote up a better description for review:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000011-group-a-group-b-and-group-w-whats-the-difference/

You may also consider continuing in Group A with assistance from abbodi86’s:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/neutralize-telemetry-and-sustain-windows-7-and-8-1-monthly-rollup-model/
      This topic was developed after Elly’s description was written.

Both paths are valid. The difference is a matter of personal preference rather than finished quality.

With this new information available to you, please return and post new questions here. Thank you for starting a topic that focuses on your question.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    • #231208 Reply

krutzy
      AskWoody Lounger

I will – you explained that perfectly.  Thank you for your assistance and will go back to the regular group.   Kevin

• #231219 Reply

anonymous

I’m glad you found the information you needed. Your brief reply left me not sure that you had followed further links found in Elly’s discussion. For any reader who finds this topic and has made a choice of one group over another, take a few minutes to get your settings right ahead of the next update cycle. Woody will very likely be lowering the MS-DEFCON rating soon.

For Group B, read through and implement the settings in the steps of:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1
      Then wait for more advice later in the month.

For Group A, the same idea will make sure Windows Update service will wait for your approval. Read through and implement the settings in the steps of:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000004-how-to-apply-the-win7-and-8-1-monthly-rollups
      Woody will signal when to go ahead with November updates down the road apiece.

Either way, being familiar with the directions ahead of time will make things easier later on. Good luck, and happy updating.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #231411 Reply

krutzy
      AskWoody Lounger

Anonymous,
      I looked at both of them and actually printed them out to study some more.  Just did not have time last night to dig in, however I wish I had found them earlier before posting this because I would I would have understood.  Both were very helpful.  Just need to find the time to dig back today.  Thank you.  Kevin

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Group A vs. B

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.