Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Group B July’s Patches

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Group B July’s Patches

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  GoneToPlaid 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

planet
      AskWoody Lounger

Will I miss critical updates not patching July’s security only since it isn’t cumulative?

Group B Win 7 64 bit

• #209696 Reply

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

I’m unsure of the nature of your specific query. Does it relate to July’s patches only, or the Group patching fundamentals?

You’re answer may be found in:
      AKB2000011: Group A, Group B, and Group W — what’s the difference?
      (also check the topic tags within AKB2000011)

Master Patch List – July 2018

The difference between Security-Only and Cumulative updates is explained in AKB2000011, but do make sure that if you are using the Security-Only Group-B patching strategy, you do need to also patch IE11 separately (all linked in AKB2000003 each month).

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #209697 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

The patches contain more than one bug fix. The tcpip.sys related BSOD was fixed by KB4345459, so that is the security only update I would recommend. If you do not install the July patches, you will miss this and any other fixes it patch contains, since it is not cumulative.

OK, other fixes:
      For months I have had a yellow caution triangle over my WiFi icon in the system tray of two of my Win7 machines (one 32-bit, one 64-bit) that said “No Internet access.” But I DID have Internet access. The July patches fixed both machines. This was not caused by the original Patch Tues July patch (which I did not install) – it had been going on for maybe 4 months. It was not a reported bug. But whatever was in the later July patch fixed it.

So I would recommend installing the later patch, not the original Patch Tues patch. There are other fixes in it. MS just doesn’t document their updates very well.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  PKCano.
      5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #209717 Reply

planet
        AskWoody Lounger

So, I will install the latter of the security only July patches and wait for  Defcon 3 to install the next IE patch. I will skip the July IE patch. I appreciate your fdbk PKCano.

Group B Win 7 64 bit

• #209723 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

@planet, See Woody’s advice article on July patching here:

we-continue-at-ms-defcon-1-dont-install-any-of-the-july-patches

| 2x Group A- W8.1x64 | Group A+ Linux x64 Hybrid | Group B W7x64 Pro | Group W XP Pro
            No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
          3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #209741 Reply

PKCano
          AskWoody MVP

Yes, Woody’s recent advice is to leave all of them alone and don’t install anything from July. They will be included in the August patches along with the fixes (we hope).

Please realize I do patch testing in VMs. I am not the every-day patcher.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  PKCano.
          3 users thanked author for this post.
          • #209807 Reply

planet
            AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Microfix and PKCano. So I will be cautious and not install anything pending next months patches and (hopefully) a Defcon 3. This is really becoming a difficult process, more and more so each month.  Especially for those of us in Group B since our SO’s aren’t cumulative.

Group B Win 7 64 bit

• #209821 Reply

DrBonzo
      AskWoody Lounger

KB4345459 is presumably not a cumulative update. Can we be sure the fixes contained in it will make their way into August Security Only patches? I realize nothing is certain with MS these days except uncertainty itself, but I’m just wondering whether at some point the Group B folks will need to install KB 4345459 anyway?

Thanks.

• #209863 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Lounger

My opinion on DEFCON as a guide for Windows 7 Group B: these days it is inevitably very much determined by all the grief coming from Windows 10 and to a lesser, but significant extent, by Group A patching (S&Q and P rollups). Group B fares considerably better and this is our problem. Patching as Group B, we now need to make more of our own homework to decide when and if to patch: looking around here and elsewhere for actual complaints about some patches of interest to Win 7 users, checking out the Master Patch List, etc. For Win 7 Group B users, unfortunately, the DEFCON has become too much of a blunt instrument and, consequently, of limited use as guidance. A more nuanced — and more difficult — approach is increasingly needed.

Since Group B patchers can do their updating from the Catalogue and largely “by hand”, they are also probably capable of taking care of themselves a bit better than those in Group A and can do the necessary homework to make their own decisions. The result, good or bad, will depend on how one uses a machine and which other software has been installed on it, so patching it is not a one-size-fits-all business. For example, as I have already posted elsewhere (  #208482  , #208685 ), I have patched my Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 PC, Intel I-7 “sandy bridge” CPU fully though July (except for the .NET updates) and it still seems to be alive and well. But others who are, let’s say, into gaming (which I am not) might have a different story to tell. So, as always (particularly with MS products): user beware.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #209941 Reply

anonymous

? says:

patched xp pro and 3 win7 pro’s “B” style earlier today.

From AKB2000003: KB4339093-IE 11, KB4345459-SO (thanks PK) then switched on Microsoft update for, KB890830-MSRT and on the office 2010, KB4022136-Power Point, KB4022202-Word, KB4022206-Office, KB4022208-Office. Some unchecked .Net’s and assorted garbage (KB2952664) and roll-ups are left on the table.

everything seems to be functioning nominally… and thanks again for your help!

• #210123 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

I understood your question. I am Group B. The answer is to NOT install any of the the July Security Only updates. I will test the August Security Only updates, when they are released. Quite simply, hold off on anything.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Group B July’s Patches

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.