News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Group Policy Update Deferral

Posted on agoldhammer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  agoldhammer 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

I moved from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Pro version 1809 early in the year and set up a group policy to defer feature updates (the twice yearly big one) by 90 days with the ‘semi-annual channel’ selection.  I’m confused about when the 90 day clock starts ticking.  Version 1903 came out this past May and I’ve not received any notification about updating yet.  ‘Semi-annual channel’ setting ‘…mean it is ready for widespread use in organizations…’ but what is this decision date.  I’m not necessarily in need of updating to 1809 as my system is working fine and all of ‘ordinary’ updates take place with a 14 day delay.

I’m just curious about when I might see 1809.

• #1980948 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I’m guessing you’re looking for 1903 (since you are already on 1809).
      MS changed the way they calculated deferral time (again) beginning from “Ready for business” to “beginning from public release.” Because they did this mid-stream, they added 60 days (I think, may have been 90) to the Feature deferral time for 1809.
      So the actual deferral will be 90 + 60 = 150 (or 90 + 90 = 180, whichever it was).
      I think the deferral time for 1903 is somewhere around 145 days as of 10/14 – so end of the week for you if the added time is 60 days.

Semi-Annusl Channel means you will only see the Patch Tuesday Security CUs and not the Previews.
      Quality deferral means the Security CUs won’t show up for the set amount of deferral time.

But the time calculation changes in 1903. I believe deferral will start with “public release,” not “ready for business.”

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1981170 Reply

agoldhammer
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the response.  I’ll just let it keep going on 1809 until it tells me I have an update waiting.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Group Policy Update Deferral

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.