News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hackers – how to find out if someone is on your network?

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Hackers – how to find out if someone is on your network?

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 41 minutes ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

Is there anyway Other way than checking the router if some has hacked through & is on your network, along w/finding out who it is?

Thank You

• #2313506 Reply
        anonymous

? say:

i use linux\netstat and look at the active connections using a command line\terminal session. windows also has it (built-in):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/netstat

• #2313550 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

This is a really complicated issue actually, because it’s a question of degrees…

There is essentially no general way to detect a listen-only intruder, such as a sniffer.

In a wireless network (wifi, etc) a sniffer is just plain impossible to tell from a random piece of conductive material. As in, any receiving antenna… (And at wifi frequencies, a houseplant is quite conductive enough. As is a cat or a squirrel.)

In a wired network, you can theoretically check cable lengths by their electrical properties…

Active transmitting intruders can be detected by traffic that shouldn’t be there, yes, and netstat is one of the tools for the high-level traffic… but it doesn’t help much with ICMP and such, or link-level issues. And checking the router may not be enough either.

A good firewall, or a sniffer-type monitoring tool, will tell you about the low-level traffic too. It’s just, there’s a lot of it even normally and telling what’s abnormal requires lots of technical knowledge… and if you have a switched network you’ll need to set a “monitoring” mode on the switch and monitor the one special port, which then limits the switch’s throughput severely.

So yeah, really depends on the level of security required. For increased security it’s often more worthwhile to just implement an additional layer of security between the points. Like SSL/TLS with encryption and certificates even within the LAN, or… well there’s all kinds of things that are possible to do if you have the time/money/knowledge, like point-to-point VPNs and multi-way RADIUS authentication.

• #2313661 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You can look at your router status to see active connections and DHCP leases. You can then check that the devices are yours.

Unfortunately, most hacks are via software on your computer when you click on a bad file / link. This is much cheaper and easier for hackers than turning up at / near your place and using their own hardware.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2313669 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

I would expect my FingBox to alert me if there were a cuckoo in my nest.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2313874 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

John

I will take a looksee of the looksee device 😉

I see there is a Fing Desktop I have had the mobile Fing app for years.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2314072 Reply
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the tip. Ill check it out.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2314071 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

If some device is connected to your network? I would definatelly look for number of IP addresses on your network. Lets say there are three addresses. One of them is your router, one is your PC, third can be your cellphone.
        You can do that with free tools such as Angry IP scanner

Beware, if subnet mask is not 255.255.255.0

if subnet mask is 255.255.254.0 tneh IP adress range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.254
        if subnet mask is 255.255.252.0 then range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.3.254
        and so on.

Sometimes network starts at 192.168.0.1
        Use
        ipconfig /all
        in commad line as administrator.

Hope this can help, please post your questions here.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hackers – how to find out if someone is on your network?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.