News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • HakTrap hardware firewall

Posted on Matthew Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Matthew
        AskWoody Plus

The other day I came across a radio program called “Tech It Out” and heard a story about a fairly recent device called HakTrap.  It seems to be a hardware firewall configured for the consumer market, particularly to protect various IoT devices (as well as computers).

The device requires a subscription for regular updates of the firmware, so it’s not just a one time purchase.  That said, a lot of us are used to subscriptions for tech security.  Anyway, I’m just wondering if anyone knows more about this product or has purchased it.  Would you recommend it or not bother with it?

Thank you.

• #2232434 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Wow, a security product with a non-secure web site (no https)!
        Barge pole territory (as in “wouldn’t touch it with”).

I have a separate wifi channel for my IoT devices. It has only internet access and devices on it can’t see each other.
        This does require a router that supports additional wifi channels and configuration – generally not an ISP supplied router.

cheers, Paul

• #2232443 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Wow, a security product with a non-secure web site (no https)!

But it is secure web site (at least in Chrome)

The device is made by AXIOM CYBER SOLUTIONS

hak

Attachments:
      • #2232450 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Capture
        cheers, Paul

Attachments:
      • #2232719 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

This seems to be an additional router/firewall that may provide more protection than your existing router/firewall, but it costs $200 in year 1 and $150 after that.

Their example report shows:
        Scan attacks
        blocked by a standard router.
        malformed packets
        blocked by a standard router unless in response to a request your machine made.
        Bogons
        blocked by the ISP and standard router.
        Ransomware
        this may be the one good thing the device blocks, but if you don’t click on those unexpected email attachments / apps you have to have from odd sites, then you aren’t going to be affected.

I think you would be better off spending less than half the year 1 amount on an external USB disk and backup regularly. This will also allow you to recover from ransomware.
        You could even afford a second disk and rotate them around.

Note: this assumes you have a reasonable router/firewall. Your ISP supplied unit may not be up to scratch, especially if it’s more than a few years old.

cheers, Paul

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2232741 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Paul,

I heartily agree. Even if your ISP router isn’t up to snuff, you can use that first years fee to get a good router and just plug it into your ISP one, if it’s not separate from the modem, and go on your merry way. Next use what’s left, there are many very good routers at about $100, to buy a USB HDD dock and a bare hard drive (using a WD Blue 2Tb drive you can get the combo for about $100). Now pare that with Macrium Reflect Free and you’re good to go w/no annual fees and a higher level of protection IMHO.

HTH :cheers:

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: HakTrap hardware firewall

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.