News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hard drive light has been flashing all day

Posted on WSgapch12 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Hard drive light has been flashing all day

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        WSgapch12
        AskWoody Plus

I not sure why my hard drive light has been flashing all day.  Any others having the same happening to them.

edition windows 10 home version 1909 installed 5/24/19 os build 18363.628

currently updates are paused

• #2170852 Reply
        Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

I not sure why my hard drive light has been flashing all day.

Press Ctl+Alt+Del and open Task Manager

The first tab (Processes) will show what is being run .  The second tab (Performance) will allow you to view % of Hard Drive in use.  Between those two tabs you should get a good idea of what is happening.

Post back and tell us what is going on that might seem unusual.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2171026 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

Follow Bluetrix instructions( #2170852) to check for compatTelRunner.exe file…..

is this file running?  I looked around for info and denied it running thru Bitdefender firewall warning. Is this pre 1909 force feed? Interestingly, It is part of telemetry so not off topic!
        CompatTelRunner.exe
        see https://windowsreport.com/compattelrunner-exe-file-issues/

I’ve been told wot blocks this site but I haven’t had any issues- interesting article regarding this file running for a L_ON_G time scanning every file in your computer and reporting back to msft.

Hope this is helpful.

DriftyDonN

• #2171270 Reply
        WSgapch12
        AskWoody Plus

I thank you for your advice.  So far today things are normal.  Don’t know enough about task manager to help me find out what was going on.

• #2171403 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You don’t need to know anything about TM. Follow Bluetrix instructions and post a screenshot for us to advise.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hard drive light has been flashing all day

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.