News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hard Drive size mismatch

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

fpefpe 11 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

fpefpe
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello – Any insight with this would be appreciate.  About a year ago I replaced the 2 hard drives for my win7 os.  Both were 1tb – first drive is the boot drive and the second was just for data – the boot drive was having some sort of I/O issues so, I replaced both drive.  I replaced the boot drive with a 1tb drive – and since the second drive was just a “data” drive – I replaced the 1tb drive with a 3tb drive.

After the new hardware installed, I started up the computer — I was able to clone the boot drive and win7 started up fine.

So now I wanted to format the second drive, but windows was telling me the the size of the second disk was just 768gb – I then reboot, when to the BIOS and that reported the drive as 3TB.

I then took out the 3tb drive and formatted on another win7 machine – creating a GPT and it formatted the full 3tb – I then put that drive back in the computer and window now sees a 3tb drive, tools like testdisk and reflect still see the size as 768gb, but will use the formatted size of drive, 3TB.

It seems to be working OK — I was able to write files to it and last time I checked I was using more that 50% of the drive — past the 768gb “hardware” size.

What do I need to do to have win7 find the correct size of the drive?  Thanks

fpefpe

• #186211 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

I am aware that cloning can leave a drive showing less space than it actually has, but this problem doesn’t appear to be affecting a drive you have cloned (if I read it correctly).

I wonder if perhaps this page might have something that leads you in the right direction. You don’t mention what Disk Management shows, or if you have checked out the DiskPart information.

• #186262 Reply

fpefpe
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello – Thanks for your reply.  To be clear, I cloned the boot drive which was 1TB to a new 1TB drive – so there was no issue there.

The second drive would be a 1TB to a 3TB drive and I was going to do robocopy from the old drive (which is now usb connected to the comptuer) to the new drive which is now inside the computer.

When win7 started it had no issued with the 1TB drive (boot) but the second drive, 3TB, it just reported it as 768gb. As noted the BIOS does see the 3TB drive as 3TB, but win7 does not.  So I formatted the 3TB drive on a second machine, put it back in the first machine and windows disk mgt   see 3TB partition, but tools like testdisk and (macrium) reflect still report the hardware size as 768gb.

Also, thx for the info about cloning – I actually did this for a 2tb to a 3tb drive – in that case after the clone I used EASUS tool to convert the MBR to GPT and extend the space to the full 3TB disk size.

fpefpe

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hard Drive size mismatch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.