News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Having problems with OneDrive Files on Demand? “OneDrive cannot connect to Windows.” The bug isn’t just in Win10 version 2004

Home Forums AskWoody blog Having problems with OneDrive Files on Demand? “OneDrive cannot connect to Windows.” The bug isn’t just in Win10 version 2004

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

On Thursday, Microsoft posted a warning entitled Issues using OneDrive Files On-Demand on some devices after updating to Windows 10, version 2004. Lon
        [See the full post at: Having problems with OneDrive Files on Demand? “OneDrive cannot connect to Windows.” The bug isn’t just in Win10 version 2004]

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2277663 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

No problem with 2004.

No problem with my Microsoft Lumia 950 Windows phone running Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 OS Build 10.0.15254.603.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2277721 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

OneDrive was not used on my system; now OneDrive is not installed.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b4 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2277845 Reply
        DRW
        AskWoody Lounger

No problem on my Lenovo Legion Y540-IRH with Windows 10 Pro version 2004. Not sure why I avoided all the problems others had, as I’m probably not as computer savvy as most of the other people who follow this Site.

• #2277916 Reply
        anonymous

Did a new version of OneDrive come out? If its updated through the Microsoft Store process, then it could update anytime right?

• #2279882 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Over the weekend I did something I’ve been putting off for quite some time; I used the NAMEXIF utility to rename a few hundred photos in my local OneDrive folder to YYYY-MM-DD-hhmmss.  I had previously sorted them into folders of YYYY\MM, and had already renamed a few hundred, but the older photos were overdue.

After the renaming, it took OneDrive quite a quite a while to sync with the cloud (my upload speed is 10Mbps) but I had no connection issues.  I also have my NAS setup with the same OneDrive account, so that I have two local copies that take care of themselves in the background.

Syncing on the way up from my desktop, while slow, was without issue.  Syncing down to my NAS was much quicker (200Mbps) and was also without issue.  Both are running 2004 (OS Build 19041.329).

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Having problems with OneDrive Files on Demand? “OneDrive cannot connect to Windows.” The bug isn’t just in Win10 version 2004

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.