Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Heads up! Microsoft finally releases a new build of Win10 version 1809

Home Forums AskWoody blog Heads up! Microsoft finally releases a new build of Win10 version 1809

This topic contains 28 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 5 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

KB 4469342 (its fifth iteration, I believe) just went out the Windows Update chute. It brings Win10 version 1809 up to build 17763.168. The main 1809
      [See the full post at: Heads up! Microsoft finally releases a new build of Win10 version 1809]

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #238574 Reply

anonymous

Since it’s on preview schedule, it won’t install automatically. It’s up to seekers and other funny folks to tell the world about themselves and their findings.

• #238590 Reply

warrenrumak
      AskWoody Lounger

Hey Woody (and all), you might find this Quora post from a developer on the Windows Update team to be an interesting read.  He talks about the complications around why most updates require a reboot, and acknowledges that they need to be a lot better at quality and testing.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Windows-require-a-restart-after-installing-updates-If-I-understand-correctly-this-could-be-avoided-if-the-Windows-development-team-made-clever-use-of-their-own-shadow-copy-technologies/answer/Mark-Phaedrus

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #238602 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Seems like there’s a new .net (Preview) update to go with that KB4469342, https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4469041/december-5-2018-kb4469041 just popped in tonight on Win10Pro 1809 with no deferments set using WUMT.
      Win10-1809-04-12-18-KB4469041
      Are we doing previews now with Win10 1809??

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #238615 Reply

ch100
        AskWoody MVP

Yes, but I believe it is pushed if you actively seek, which means click the ‘Check for updates’ button.

• #238960 Reply

anonymous

Yesterday, when I used my laptop with 1809, I saw that Windows Update was automatically downloading the Flash Player Security Update and the .net Framework Preview. I DID NOT press the “Check for updates” button.

I ran wushowhide.diagcab to hide it before it had the time to install.

So it looks like .net Framework Preview Updates that are optional on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are now mandatory for Windows 10 1809 users. I hope it was a mistake and Microsoft didn’t do this on purpose.

Francis

• #238652 Reply

anonymous

For anyone manually installing this CU from the Update Catalog, please don’t forget to first install the December 2018 Servicing Stack Update, KB4070788

• #238654 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Hey Y’all,

I’ve been seeking away on my test machine and “I can’t get no satisfaction!” 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #238657 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Check all the things MS has blocked for 1809 installation. Do you have any of the hdw or s/w?

• #238660 Reply

anonymous

Also, post back and let us know if your are Semi-Annual Channel or SAC-Targeted

• #238666 Reply

RetiredGeek
          AskWoody MVP

8700UpdateSettings2

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
          Computer Specs

Attachments:
          • #238672 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

Seeking does me no good, either.

• #238681 Reply

woody
              Da Boss

You might want to try manually installing the Servicing Stack Update KB 4470788.

@edtittel reports on Tenforums that he needed that SSU first.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            • #238700 Reply

Microfix
              AskWoody MVP

Aren’t we at MS-DEFCON 2? (need a whistling emoticon with eyes rolling)

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
            • #238707 Reply

PKCano
              AskWoody MVP

Downloaded and installed the SSU OK.
              Waited, even rebooted and waited again. No joy here in wushowhide OR WU Check for updates.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-06-at-10.54.39-AM

Screen-Shot-2018-12-06-at-10.53.20-AM
              Screen-Shot-2018-12-06-at-11.03.35-AM

Attachments:
            • #238695 Reply

RetiredGeek
              AskWoody MVP

I tried!

KB4470788CantInstall

8700-Recent-Updates

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
              Computer Specs

Attachments:
            • #238703 Reply

anonymous

You’re on 1803. This update is for 1809

• #238749 Reply

RetiredGeek
              AskWoody MVP

Yes I’m on 1803, the top article is about 1809 being back in Windows Update?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
              Computer Specs

• #238731 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Sought the errant KB4469342 and finally installed after 2 abortive attempts with error “Failed to install on ‎06/‎12/‎2018 – 0x8024200d” it could well be that M$ is making a pre requisite SSU to install a cumm. update as a way of stymying attempts to block updates as my WUMT here isn’t picking them up here although plainly available with the infamous “Seek” As the SSU is to be installed first its entirely possible that WUMT or WUSHOWHIDE?? wont pick them up as they require an SSU first, seems to me here least ways “he says removing tin foil Hat” WUMT snagged a .net above last night now hidden but never detected KB4469342 even though it was available, not being a “seeker” by nature, curiouser and curiouser. Any ways it installed ok might just reinstate deferments here for the next patch Tuesday.
      KB4469342-06-12-18-WUMT-Winver

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  BobbyB.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  BobbyB.
      Attachments:
    • #238753 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Got tired of waiting downloaded the Update Assistant. Update to 1809 in progress.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #238756 Reply

anonymous
    • #238758 Reply

anonymous

Windows update interrupts Snooker match (https://au.eurosport.com/snooker/uk-championship/2018-2019/snooker-windows-update-of-scoreboard-interrupts-play-during-allen-robertson-match_vid1142508/video.shtml).

Windows 10, the most productive Windows ever!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #238766 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Windows 10, the most productive distracting Windows ever! FTFY

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
      • #238769 Reply

BobbyB
        AskWoody Lounger

So the Snooker got “Snookered” by “Windoze update” sounds about right lol 😉

• #239316 Reply

anonymous

I did not get the update as long as the Group Policy “Select when Preview Builds
      and Feature Updates are received” was set (Semi Annual Channel, defer feature updates for 365 days).

I had to change this GPO to “Not configured”. After that, Windows Update
      download the update.

Looks like another ***up by MS, as this GPO is about feature updates
      (i.e. semi-annual OS upgrades), and not about quality updates (which this update is).
      I had no deferral GPO for quality updates set, just for feature updates…

Man, I’m so tired with this, will they ever honor their updating-related GPOs
      in the way they were designed ?

Will be interesting in my company, where we have few testing machines
      on v1809. GPO set to semi-annual channel, deferral to 365 days.
      The way MS is acting right now, I presume they will never receive
      another security/quality update 😉

Oh, and did I mention this is *****? 😉

• #239324 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I believe the Security updates released on Patch Tuesday are referred to as “Quality” updates. Those patches released between Patch Tuesdays are usually classified as “Non-security” updates because they contain only bug fixes and no new security additions. They are “Previews.”

I did not get the update as long as the Group Policy “Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received” was set (Semi Annual Channel, defer feature updates for 365 days).

I believe you got what you asked for.

• #238739 Reply

anonymous

The time here was 18:33, but Windows Defender showed Last Update 19:33, one hour ahead of real time. Is this a new bug, or did I mess up something?

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17763.168

Nothing else to report so far, exept the .NET preview which i uninstalled afterwards. I wonder if that was Malice, Incompetence or Poor Scheduling on M$ part?

Edited for content

• #238764 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

The time here was 18:33, but Windows Defender showed Last Update 19:33, one hour ahead of real time. Is this a new bug, or did I mess up something?

Nope not unusual I quite often get updates for Win’s 7-10 dated for the next day well before Midnight, I used to think it was my Machine but its quite common on quite a few others I have worked with, must be an M$ thing, the .NET Preview above arrived the day before at 2200/10pm. Probably “shove it out the door early and run” in Redmond 😉

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Heads up! Microsoft finally releases a new build of Win10 version 1809

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Comments are closed.