News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Heads Up on 11th Feb Windows Updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Heads Up on 11th Feb Windows Updates

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        PaulB
        AskWoody Plus

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but the following text has been posted on Facebook by a techie friend (he works in tech support) of mine and is quoted verbatim:-
        “Good Morning my legion of Facebook friends your PC guy has a new Windows 10 warning for all of you . (Don’t kill the messenger ). Last years windows 10 update as may recall me telling you about was designed to fix minor bugs in the operating system and as you may recall i had you suspend the updates so you would not be harmed . This was to lead up to the release of 2H19 our latest update released on February 11th. It was supposed to again fix minor bugs and polish the operating system. This did not mean that showstopping bugs would not appear or pop up,in other minor updates which is precisely the case with our latest update KB4532693. And its not just some minor bug this time it is causing some users to lose files some of them for good . It was supposed to fix issues but as you are well aware by now Microsoft is quite talented at introducing worse problems exactly because of those bug fixes .It seems it is loading temporary profiles which means when you log in what was once there is no longer there and when you reboot your regular profile is back but not the files . At present there is no fix for this as everyone most likely got this update . I will continue to find a solution to this issue so stand by . It seems to be confined to US Canada and UK as of last reports and not everyone will get this bug at first . Be patient . I can hardly wait for Windows 12 . Have a Great day .”

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2152897 Reply
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

Be patient . I can hardly wait for Windows 12 .

Once, there was a time that a higher OS number promised good thing.

Now we have to wait and see; curious how people here will react to this thought.

After all.. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.
      • #2152935 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I see things in a slightly different way.

The zapped profile bug he’s talking about occurs with both Win10 1903 and 1909 (he calls it 19H2, which was the beta name). The bug’s a direct results of a race condition on installing KB 4532693, which was released on Feb. 11.

I talked about the lost profile problem in Computerworld last week. I, too, have seen reports of permanently lost data, but am not yet convinced that it’s actually happened.

there is no fix for this as everyone most likely got this update

That’s only true for those folks who let Automatic Update kick in. Please tell your friend there’s a much better way — to enable Pause Updates BEFORE the poorly tested patches appear. That’s part and parcel of what we do here on AskWoody, as echoed in my Computerworld posts and AskWoody Plus Alerts.

We’ve been warning folks to get locked down prior to Patch Tuesday for 14 years.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2152947 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

If determined to beta test, build multiple system images, rescue disks, and restore points. Know how and when to use them.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 InUse
          online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.752 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox75.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2152980 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

It would help if Microsoft inquired prior to installing any patch:

• Have you backed up your files and system?
        • Are you sure you want to install this update?

As it stands right now, preventative measures must be taken with Microsoft patches. Many people are unknowing and unaware.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.752 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox75.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by geekdom.
      • #2153349 Reply
        PaulB
        AskWoody Plus

Further to my original post, my tech friend (who works with Microsoft) has posted the following:-
        “Ok so an update on windows 10 update that was sent out to millions of users and as I reported yesterday it was removing peoples files . Apparently Microsoft heard the cries and has rescinded the update and has replaced it with a working update . Apparently the one causing the problems was inadvertently loaded into their servers and sent out . I have tested the new update so rest easy it’s safe.”

• #2153355 Reply
          DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

“inadvertently loaded” ??!! What an utterly ridiculous explanation (directed at MS, not the friend of PaulB).

Ooops – pardon my inadvertent rant.

• #2153358 Reply
          jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Further to my original post, my tech friend (who works with Microsoft)

If your tech friend really “works with Microsoft,” he/she must be the janitor.

This simply didn’t happen.

• #2153422 Reply
          geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

Here is the Microsoft Update Catalog showing information for KB4532693; dates show February 10, 2020 and there is nothing newer with this number to indicate a replacement:
          https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4532693

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2154048 Reply
        PaulB
        AskWoody Plus

Today I have successfully installed KB4532693. After it had installed I looked at the history of patches and clicked on the link for KB4532693. That took me to this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4532693/windows-10-update-kb4532693 Look at the date on the patch – it clearly says February 11, 2020. Clearly a replacement patch has been issued. The Microsoft catalogue still shows no patch under this reference with a date later than February 10, 2020. I had queried what had been said about the catalogue and dates with my tech friend and, among other things, he replied “they pulled that update and silently released the fixed version”,  the reference to “that update” being the one that caused all the problems. The “silent release” probably explains the difference between the dates in the MS catalogue and the actual date of the installed patch as cited in the link above (and I feel this vindicates my friend).

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by PaulB.
        • #2154078 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

You have a good point – but I don’t see any evidence that the patch has been re-released.

If you go to the Catalog and download the Win10 1909 64-bit patch, then open the MSU file using 7Zip, you see that the component files — the ones that get installed — are dated February 8. The Catalog says it was last modified on Feb. 10.

Patch Tuesday was Feb. 11 and that’s why the Knowledge Base article says Feb. 11.

The telltale sign is the dates on the component files. As best I can tell, the currently available KB 4532693 was put together on Feb. 8.

Conclusion: Highly, highly unlikely it was re-released.

• #2154094 Reply
            PaulB
            AskWoody Plus

I take your point about the dates being February 8th. However, isn’t it possible that the problem was caused by a missing file or files that should have formed part of the update. Simplistically I am thinking of code that says:-

If file-x present then
            do the operations missing that caused the problem
            else
            do nothing
            end

The re-released update could contain missing files that would still have the date of February 8th but would affect the way the update worked i.e. this time successfully

• #2154109 Reply
            jabeattyauditor
            AskWoody Lounger

Microsoft’s digital signature for the update package confirms your (Woody’s – nesting didn’t work on this reply) hypothesis:

Capture-4

Attachments:
            • #2169387 Reply
              PaulB
              AskWoody Plus

I downloaded windows10.0-kb4532693-x64 and when I looked at the properties it showed a digital signature of 9th February as per the attached image Dig-Sig-MS-Upd

so it would seem that something did in fact change between 8th and 9th February

Attachments:
              • #2169391 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

But the patch was released on Feb. 11, not on Feb 8 or 9. It was not available on the catalog or in Windows Update until Patch Tues, Feb 11. It hasn’t been changed since it’s release.

• #2169392 Reply
                jabeattyauditor
                AskWoody Lounger

What time zone are you in?

• #2169497 Reply
                PaulB
                AskWoody Plus

GMT

• #2169518 Reply
                jabeattyauditor
                AskWoody Lounger

I’m five hours behind you – our update file timestamps are identical.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Heads Up on 11th Feb Windows Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.