News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Help – Microsoft is playing games!

Posted on deanwmn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Help – Microsoft is playing games!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        deanwmn
        AskWoody Lounger

Woody, Microsoft is playing games with me this morning and I’m not happy! I downloaded and installed KB4512486, KB4499175 and KB4511872 to my Win 7 SP2. I have an HP Envy PC. Clicked to install them and it took forever! Got dressed, made the bed, took the dog for a walk and got back only to find a message that they were unable to install them correctly. What Microcrud DID install was Kb 4412506, with the label “Security Update”, which it isn’t. And KB4517411 – which I’m not sure what it is. I’m planning on uninstalling them both, particularly since the computer couldn’t be configured correctly according to MS, and reinstall what I had to begin with. Is there another course of action I should take? Help – please

• #1934587 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Kb 4412506 is the 20190-08 Security Quality Monthly Rollup for Win7. It IS a Security patch.

You should check to be sure you have these updates installed before you try to install the August updates:
        KB3133977 (an old patch, but required)
        KB4490638 (the latest Servicing Stack)
        KB4474419 v.2 (the SHA-2 coding update dated 8/12/2019)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1934619 Reply
        deanwmn
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you! I knew that the KB4412506 was a security patch, I just don’t normally get the monthly rollups – no idea what else is in there.  I’ll leave it, not worth hassling over. As for the others, I have kb4474419 and   I have the kb3133977 from Aug 2016. I don’t have kb4490638 but I do have kb 4490628, which is a Servicing Stack. Tried searching for kb4490638 in the Microsoft catalog, but it said file not found. The rest is already there. Oh and KB4511872 – I don’t have either Symantec or Norton, so thinking it wouldn’t be necessary. I do appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, too.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by deanwmn.
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by deanwmn.
        • #1934628 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

kb4490638 – sorry, my typo. That should be a 2 in there: kb 4490628

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1934643 Reply
        deanwmn
        AskWoody Lounger

So everything should be there. I don’t know what Microsoft meant by their cryptic message which was on my computer when I got home about having to delete something in HP before the system could be configured. I clicked on the message to see what it said and it disappeared.  Everything necessary is there and it’s up and running. I don’t have a clue. But I do thank you for your advice.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Help – Microsoft is playing games!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.