News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• HELP! Recent update DEACTIVATED Win 10 Pro 20H2

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update HELP! Recent update DEACTIVATED Win 10 Pro 20H2

Topic Resolution: Not Resolved

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        7Natives
        AskWoody Plus

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.985

One of three recent updates to 20H2 deactivated my legitimate copy of Windows 10 Pro. On 06/07: KB4023057 was installed, on 06/08: KB5003173, and on 06/13: KB4023057. Today I just noticed watermarking, “Activate Windows” in File Explorer and Notepad. My Win 10 has been active and running nicely for years. I am not seeing how to fix this.

This was not seen yesterday nor before. Any help would be appreciated.

b
        AskWoody MVP

The first step would be to do what the watermark asks, by going to Settings, Update & Security, Activation and see what that tells you:

Checking your activation status

The Activation Troubleshooter may be available there:

Using the Activation troubleshooter

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1151 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        7Natives
        AskWoody Plus

b, Thank you for your reply!

Before coming to the forum I checked the activation status which showed this copy of Win 10 had not been activated. I was unable to get the troubleshooter to run, then posted asking for help.

After that I installed update KB5003637 and shut down for the evening. (Yes, I know—brain cramp.)

This morning when I started up the involved computer I saw your reply and checked the activation status again. It’s now showing “activated with a digital license”. So on this old Dell Optiplex at least, whatever caused the “deactivation” was apparently repaired by completing the installation of KB5003637.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        7Natives
        AskWoody Plus

UPDATE

Today the ‘Activate Windows’ flag displayed again. Settings > Update & Security > Activation > run Activation Troubleshooter appears to have solved the issue—again—for now.

7Natives
        AskWoody Plus

UPDATE

I’ve tracked down and reliably reproduced steps for this issue:

• When Windows tries to affirm its “activated” status and the user is connected to the internet via a VPN, activation fails.
        • The <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>workaround</span> is to disconnect and use the Troubleshoot activation button while on your LAN or directly connected to the internet.
        • Once re-activated the user can go on|off the VPN with impunity—until the current activation period times out and requires confirmation.
          • If the user is locally connected to the internet activation confirmation will proceed invisibly in the background as expected;
          • If the user is on a VPN and remotely connected to the internet at this time, activation will again fail.

This is unnecessarily burdensome for the user, but at least the work-around works and takes little time.

This has been reported via the User Feedback feature in Win 10 Pro.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

How often is it kicking this reactivation?  It should only kick it if a major part changes.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

7Natives
            AskWoody Plus

It appears to be phoning home roughly but not exactly 1x/day, i.e., not exactly every 24-hrs. An auto shut-off occurs nightly at 1852 hrs.

This desktop was originally located at the Home office running Win7 Pro 64b and relocated to its current remote site about 4-years ago. My recollection is this necessitated a re-activation, after which there were no problems.

About 8- to 12-months later came in-place upgrades to maximize onboard RAM and an upgrade from a 250MB to 1GB-SSD during which the data was migrated to the larger drive using Samsung’s migration tool. My recollection is this may have necessitated a re-activation, but I’m not certain. However, after this work there were no problems.

Roughly 2-years ago I updated this system in-place to Win 10 Pro 64b. Any re-activation was probably baked-into the dirty upgrade, and after that there have been no problems—until now.

I work here for parts of about 8-months/year and am on|off the VPN with the Home office numerous times each day roughly 6-days a week on average, at varying times usually during daylight (0630-1900) but sometimes at night and on weekends.

Further checking into the update history, I see these updates were installed concurrently or interleaved with those previously listed:

• 3/24/2021 and earlier disregarded, system dormant until…
            •  6/7/2021:
              • KB4023057 2021-03 Quality update for 20H2
                (leading post on 6/14 above)
              • KB4601554 2021-05 Cumulative .NET update
              • KB890830 malicious Software Removal Tool v5.89
            • 6/8/2021:
              • KB5003173 2021-05 Cumulative update for 20H2
                (leading post above)
            • 6/11/2021:
              • KB4577586 Update for Removal of Adobe Flash Player
            • 6/13/2021:
              • KB4023057 2021-05 Quality update for 20H2
                (leading post above)
            • 6/14/2021:
              • KB5003637 2021-06 Cumulative update for 20H2
              • KB890830 malicious Software Removal Tool v5.90
              • KB5003254 2021-06 Cumulative .NET update

The current OS build is 19042.1052 and the current Windows Feature Experience Pack is 120.2212.2020.0.

I was unable to locate any pertinent Known Issues regarding these updates at support.microsoft.com

Susan Bradley
              Manager

None of these updates are triggering reactivation widespread. Is there any other software that you recently installed besides these updates?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

7Natives
                AskWoody Plus

Yes:

• 06/13/2021
                  • Microsoft Update Health Tools (MS)
                  • inSSIDer (update-MetaGeek)
                  • Signifi Agent (update-MetaGeek)
                • 06/08/2021
                  • Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (update)
                  • Mozilla Thunderbird 78.11.0 (x86 en-US) (update)
                • 06/07/2021
                  • Dell SupportAssist (update)
                  • Bing Wallpaper (MS)
                  • Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update (update)

7Natives
                AskWoody Plus

I noticed yesterday the “renewal activation” appears to run about 26- to 27-hrs, and it will, after all, re-activate over a vpn. But the re-activation is not sticky regardless of being done locally or by vpn, it continues to display the “Activate Windows” error daily.

7Natives
        AskWoody Plus

ADDENDA

The machine in question is enabled for two users, though I log 99% of the time on it. Five  days ago User-2 logged on, got the same activation warning, ran the troubleshooter and activated Windows. After using the machine User-2 logged out and left, and the machine powered-off about 1830 hrs as schedule. I logged on the next day and approx. 26-hrs after User-2 had activated Windows, the activation warning appeared again. I duly activated using the troubleshooter, did my work and left. The machine powered off per schedule and the next day I started it up, logged on and voilà, the activation warning appeared again.

It seems this would be an easy fix if it were not for the Y|N stamp being incorporated into the machine code (sigh).

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: HELP! Recent update DEACTIVATED Win 10 Pro 20H2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.