News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Help with Word Document with Macros

Posted on IreneLinda Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

IreneLinda 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi Loungers,

I’m in a bit of a mess. Several years ago I created a fill in form in Word, using macros. At the time I didn’t really know what I was doing, but did manage to create a workable form (with help from Woody’s loungers).

Now I’m trying to edit that form to update it, but cannot figure out (after hours of searching) how to edit words in an entry.

The document is Protected, and I can’t unprotect it following directions on how to do so in the Developer tab. I have no idea what the macro I created is called in order to edit it in Macros on the ribbon. Can’t recall what I called it except .dotm at the end. It doesn’t show up anywhere in the box that opens when I click “Macros” in Developer tab. Opening a saved .dotm version still doesn’t allow me to edit. I’d even go back to a plain Word docx version … if I could!

Can anyone help me out? I feel foolish to have forgotten all this and any notes I took at the time were on an old PC and not accessible on this one.

I’ll attach an image of the fill-in-able document so you can see the issue.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Yours in frustration,

LindaDeal-Maker

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #593534 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Linda, you may be mixing up macros with templates.

I see no need for a macro to build your form, but you very likely downloaded a template from Microsoft or elsewhere at the time. I found one just like yours in about a minute “New company setup checklist” via Word’s more templates search.

I suggest you do the same again and remake your form, should be cleaner and quicker than futzing with your existing one.

Fyi if you were to collect info like this frequently:
      You can make a setup using Word, Access & Outlook whereby you make a PDF form in Word, send out the form via Outlook, recipient fills in the info & replies, and the info goes straight into Access without any intervention from you.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #594418 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Lugh,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I’m pretty sure I used macros to create it since it had to be re-usable online. Tried to send the actual document, but apparently such file types aren’t allowed. On actual form, user can check a box, uncheck it, save it, print it and close it. Next time user accesses it, the form is blank again.

Doesn’t that mean it was made with macros? I seem to remember having a heck of a time making it work. Don’t think I’d have had as much difficulty with a template.

That being said, I would willingly recreate a form in some technically easier way. Liked your suggestion but don’t think I could make it work: I don’t use Access (the only version I have is Access 2003!) and still use Windows Live Mail for email.

Still, given the hours already spent trying to figure this out, I agree it makes sense to find some other way. It just bothers me that I can’t figure out how to edit the blasted thing!

Does all this suggest anything further to you?

Linda

• #595393 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

I’m pretty sure I used macros to create it since it had to be re-usable online.

I haven’t put a form online, so I don’t know. But my first thought is using the ‘Publish for Web’ functionality within Word—perhaps do a tiny test with a dummy little form.

Tried to send the actual document, but apparently such file types aren’t allowed.

Yes, only JPGs are allowed here as attachments for now. Once Windows Secrets has been assimilated—resistance is futile—it’s on Woody’s to-do list to allow more file types as attachments.

Does all this suggest anything further to you?

I’d only be guessing & flailing around in the dark. One of the Word experts should drop by in a while, best wait for what they have to suggest.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #596906 Reply

macropod
      AskWoody_MVP

Your image suggests your form is a document containing multiple ActiveX checkboxes. Unless you’ve added code to make sure someone can’t select two or more checkboxes under a given heading, there’s no reason to suppose it contains any macros. For a form as simple as this, I’d be inclined to use dropdown formfields instead of checkboxes, with ‘filling in forms’ protection applied. That way, your online document: (a) won’t allow mutually-exclusive choices to be made; and (b) could be used on Macs (which have never supported ActiveX controls) and on Word versions prior to Office 2010 (Office 2013 on Macs).

Cheers,
      Paul Edstein
      [MS MVP - Word]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #776023 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Thank you all for your replies and Lugh for answering all my questions. I apologize for my delay in responding … counted on email notification instead of checking in here. Duh.

Looks as if I wasn’t using macros from what you’ve all inputted. Guess that’s why  I couldn’t find any! Beside, when macropod mentioned ActiveX that sounded very familiar.

I’m still using Word 2007. We need only 2 simple forms: the one above and a second with one correct answer.

Questions:

• Are Lugh’s “Publish for Web” and macropod’s “dropdown form fields” options available in Word 2007?

Both sound like better options, especially since the original form I created wouldn’t have worked on iOS.

Finally, is this type of form considered a survey?

Thanks again for all your input.

Linda

• #781738 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

P.S. Been searching and discovered the checkbox form in Legacy Tools in Developer tab on the ribbon. No luck with “Publish for Web” … at least,no luck with anything I could understand!!

The issue with creating the form in Word is having users access it online to fill in. It was pretty klutzy when we did it this way originally.

Maybe this isn’t something that works well in Word? Also exploring saving and editing as PDF; then, linking to the PDF from the site.

Linda

• #789966 Reply

macropod
      AskWoody_MVP

Formfields work on all Word versions, both PC & Mac, which is why I suggested dropdown formfields.

Cheers,
      Paul Edstein
      [MS MVP - Word]

• #790289 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Got it, and thanks.

Linda

• #917783 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Some updated information:

• signed up for a trial of Adobe Acrobat DC so I could edit the Word document after I’d saved it as a PDF
      • editing worked fine
      • uploaded edited PDF to web site
      • PDF looks just ducky, but users can’t check boxes online
      • spent over 90 minutes in an offshore chat with Adobe trying to figure out how to fix this
      • got absolutely nowhere; final comment was “it’s a problem with your site; contact your developer”

Well, unfortunately, I’m the developer and have no idea how to develop this into what we need.

Realize Adobe is not Word or Microsoft, but hoping a Lounger can give me some direction. Recreating the document with form fields will take me ages; even if I manage that, it isn’t an ideal format for paid customers to “do” a fill in checklist online.

Any ideas about the best way to do what I’m trying to do? Any would be appreciated. Right now, I’m just going around in circles!

Thanks,

Linda

• #924703 Reply

macropod
      AskWoody_MVP

Creating a document with formfields would likely take less time than doing so with Adobe Acrobat. That said, if users are meant to complete a form on a web page, neither Word nor Acrobat is the right tool.

Cheers,
      Paul Edstein
      [MS MVP - Word]

• #927301 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks so much for your post, Paul. It’s just what I needed to know. You have saved me hours more time trying to figure out how to do what I want on Word or Adobe!

What I’d done with clickable Word originally: uploaded to our WordPress site. When users clicked on link on our site, Word document would open in new tab and could be filled in there (after all the klunky Word transfer steps had occurred).

Given my less than technical explanation, am I trying to get users to do what you said “…users are meant to complete a form on a web page”?

If so, it looks as if I’ll need to find a way designed for use on a web page. Maybe a plugin or survey type form???

Thanks for your patience. It’s frustrating not to know what software is what’s needed for what purpose!

Linda

• #942163 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Ninja Forms integrates into WordPress and the basic forms are free.
      https://wordpress.org/plugins/ninja-forms/

cheers, Paul

• #949162 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks, Paul, for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid plugins (always concerned I’ll get too many on our site and slow it down), but it looks as if that’s going to be the best way to make this work.

I really appreciate your confirmation that it’s a plugin I need and, even better, a link to one that works and is free!

Thanks so much for all your help!

Linda

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Help with Word Document with Macros

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.