News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Here’s why we’re not patching Internet Explorer

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Here’s why we’re not patching Internet Explorer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

PATCH WATCH By Susan Bradley There’s no way to sugar-coat this: The current Windows updating situation is a disaster. No, I’m not talking about the us
      [See the full post at: Here’s why we’re not patching Internet Explorer]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1968352 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

There’s no way to sugar-coat this: The current Windows updating situation is a disaster.

🙂

Windows 10 problems are ruining Microsoft’s reputation

• #1969106 Reply

Meitzi S
      AskWoody Plus

My expirence so far, only Adobe Flash Player updates have been safe to deploy on day 1. (released by Adobe directly or by Microsoft)

Any other product / vendor, not so safe.

• #1969206 Reply

GreatAndPowerfulTech
      AskWoody Lounger

It’s better to simply uncheck IE11, in the Control Panel, Programs and Features. It’s simply a troublesome bit of code these days.

GreatAndPowerfulTech

• #1969395 Reply

anonymous

In the Windows7 system, Turning Off IE from the list of Programs and features:

Does this leave the troublesome IE11 code in place, to support the OS from behind the scene?

Will the system instead revert to IE9, or earlier? These are old and not supported.

Which of these two conditions would be less troublesome in the years 2019 and 2020?

Is it better to leave IE checked, Turned ON, in the list of programs and features? And continue to accept updates for that application, when they are deemed safe by advice available here on AskWoody.

• #1970578 Reply

anonymous

I am very careful online. I turned off IE 8 years ago. I installed “security only” updates beginning in 2016. I have quit/disabled ALL MS updates as of 2017-03. Again, I am VERY careful online and have experienced ZERO issues since 2017-03. Your results may vary!!! I still need to manually delete data using “internet options” as “Windows Explorer” still collects online data.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Here’s why we’re not patching Internet Explorer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.