News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Home Network anomaly

Posted on WSmmi16 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        WSmmi16
        AskWoody Lounger

I have a small Home Network of four computers connected through use of a Actiontec GT784WN DSL modem.

I have a W10 Desktop and a Windows XP Desktop connected via the modem’s Ethernet ports.
        I have a W10 Laptop and a Vista Laptop connected via the Wireless connection feature of the modem.

The W10 Desktop is my primary use machine.

Occasionally, I am unable to transfer files from the W10 Desktop to either of the boxes that are connected via Wireless. When this happens I also cannot transfer data from either of the Wireless to the W10 Desktop, getting a ‘Not Authorized’ type error.

I am always able to transfer data between both of the Ethernet connected boxes.

Restarting the W10 Desktop clears the situation and I am able to transfer data both ways between all four of the boxes.

What gives?

• #2286924 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That is a W10 anomaly, not a wireless anomaly – unless your wireless network uses a different IP range.

Stick to rebooting the W10 machine and hope a patch fixes the problem properly.

cheers, Paul

• #2287116 Reply
        WSmmi16
        AskWoody Lounger

What part of W10 is corrupting itself? Is it know why it is corrupting itself?

• #2287124 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

What part of W10 is corrupting itself?

The $64 000 question. 🙂

It will be network, possible the SMB1 functions, but fixing it is only a reboot away so I wouldn’t be doing anything unless it becomes a real pain, in which case I’d remove and reinstall the network adapter, then maybe re-install Windows, keeping programs and data.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Home Network anomaly

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.