News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Hope I did the right thing.

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Hope I did the right thing.

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Just purchased a Minisforum 8 Core (16 threads) PC with 16Gs ram and 500Gs SSD from Amazon.   Has a lot of upgrade-ability too.   Been on a yes/no roller coaster ride for the past 2 months and finally just bit the bullet.  This box uses no more than 25W yet is 4 time more powerful than my current rig.  Now I upgraded my current system to 20Gs last April (along with PrimoCache and a 256G SSD Cache drive) but it’s still a 4 core (8 thread) system.   It’s also 2014 vintage; still works great (and indeed typing this now in my XP VM using it).   The cool thing is my monitor accepts multiple inputs so I can work back and forth as needed until all my programs are transferred.   Still hard to believe such a powerful computer can fit in such a small form factor.   Of course this computer isn’t cheap but, believe it or not, I spent the same amount for it as I did my current machine (still under $1K).   I’m hoping my computer graphics rendering will be much faster; hope the SSD holds up since I’m well aware of the limited writes you have with an SSD.   Still have to wait a week before it’s here.  Waited well over 2 months, so a week won’t be such an issue other then I wish it was here now.   lol

🙂

https://store.minisforum.com/blogs/blog/minisforum-elitemini-x400

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

That’s an amazing machine for such a small package. Storage expandability looks good. Other than that it’s by made a company I had not heard of before, my only concern would be the USB connectivity. I tend to hook up a lot of stuff to my computers–UPS battery, backup drive, flash drives, phone, TV tuner, not to mention keyboard and mouse–and my experience with USB hubs historically has been uneven.

I didn’t see a formal spec sheet, but judging from the photos the machine I looked at on their website has 4 USB ports on the back. If you don’t normally hook up a lot of peripherals to your PCs, then I’m sure this will turn out to be a great buy. Enjoy!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

I sure do hope so, Cybertooth.   I didn’t buy the extended warrenty; perhaps I should have.  Time will tell, of course.   I’m not a gamer; just watch videos an do computer art and I believe this machine will carry me for a long time.  Not sure about the Win11 dynamic, though.   My original PC had 8.1 and when updating it to Win10, it had a lot of hiccups along the way.   lol

🙂

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’m well aware of the limited writes you have with an SSD

This is not true in practice. Real world use will see a lifetime of 5 to 10 years without issue.
        The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes – The Tech Report

cheers, Paul

anonymous

If space or easy portability are the main concerns, some of these mini’s are fine.  Otherwise, a desktop with better expandability can be had for a similar price.  Depending on what you mean by computer art, this may have good enough graphics, IDK.

A while back, I was trying to decide what to do for home network storage.  I looked at NAS’s, mini’s, just adding a drive to our router, many different options.  Reasonably priced NAS’s all had wimpy cpu’s, middling graphics capabilities and you had to add drives; mini’s got expensive fast and I didn’t want to add a load to our router and cook it.  Got really confusing.  Concluded that a simple desktop would do best and wound up with a Dell from their outlet for less than the first two options and better performance.

It’s a treasure hunt to get what works for you.

The last three laptops we bought have slots for nothing but nvme ssd’s.  I really wish the out of touch myth of ssd’s being unreliable compared to hdd’s would die; lots of servers use ssd’s now.

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Good to know, Paul and appreciate the link.  Also, thanks for the additional insight, anonymous guest (for lack of a name).   For my use, I get a new PC with literally Double the cores and twice the clock speed that uses less than a quarter of the AC Power that my current rig uses.  Main goal is rendering computer graphics and this little beast should fit the bill (not to mention keep my room cooler in the Summer; lol).   Purchased a USB switch (will be here a few days prior to the PC) so that I can share keyboard/mouse/external drive between PC and mini until I’m satisfied all the data/programs I actually want to keep from the old system gets transferred to the new (my current 4K monitor has multiple HDMI inputs so need to splurge on a full KVM switch; the one I purchased only cost $18 plus dollars so doesn’t really break the bank).   Once that happens, I’ll still use the old rig to keep the juices flowing (maybe a few times a month) and in the Winter may use more often to keep the room warm.   lol

🙂

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Well it came in today (day early).  Already got my Virtualbox XP transferred (no install; just copy/paste from old system via external drive).   Surprisingly much spifier than my old system.  Might even try to enable dual processors in my XP VM (that operation significantly slowed my VM on my old machine; betting that my new machine will not even flinch).   Stoked I am.  Only copied 2 of my VMS (so Virtualbox sess a few red VMs at the moment).  Might transfer them another day.   Again, I’m stoked.   OS already came pre-enabled; just had to log on to my Windows account.   Started at 10:30pm (it’s now 2:30am).   First pass is pretty much done.  Again, still have some work to do but going to try to keep a lot of bloat off this machine.  I still have my old machine which I’ll eventually tether with my monitor using a USB Switch so I can share keyboard/mouse.  My 4K monitor excepts multiple inputs so I didn’t need to spend much since I didn’t need a full KVM for my needs.   Just wanted to update my adventure.  Cool to have a micro PC that’s much greater than 4 times more powerful then my old and only uses less then 1/4 the power.   My pocket book will hopefully recover soon.   lol

🙂

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Video memory was way low (only allocated 500M).   Did a BIOS update (had doing this; always fear bricking my PC during this time; lol) which is to address Win11 concerns.  One of the things it did was boost allocated video memory to 2Gs.   I was seeing screen jittering prior, and still do with 59.94 refresh (have a 32″ 4K monitor), but lowering to 50hz along with the update has ended that issue (before, though less noticeable, it still had problems at 50hz).   Still lots to do, but at least I got Office 2016 (paid $10 for the license which allows me to add to up to 4 machines as  I understand it.   Fringe benefit for working at my contractor position).   Even got GIMP installed (main reason I wanted a faster PC is for graphics rendering), but haven’t really toyed or added my script-fu/plugins yet.   All and all, I’m still stoked.  Never did install the USB switch; so far really didn’t need it and now wish I didn’t spend the addition $18 for it.   lol

Anyway, I know my diatribe’s a bore to many of you, so this will likely be my last entry.  Bottom line, I’m still amazed at how fast technology’s happening.  🙂

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

I know; still didn’t want to leave previous issues hanging (i.e., hopefully last post; lol).   I did get an $8 displayport cable and that completely fixed my video issues; not sure why HDMI had problems with my 4K monitor, but displayport to the rescue.   Only other issue was with sleep.  Would (well within 2 minutes anyway) wake from sleep even after I disabled keyboard/mouse wake up power settings.  Dummy me forgot about Ethernet; lol.  Disabling that fixed that issue.  Then, there was the annoying blinking blue light from power switch.  Well, there’s apparently 2 modes of sleep.  I needed to enable hybrid sleep and excecute that with a command I found another person having the same issue with his PC did.  Below’s the shortcut (which I created a shortcut on my desktop).    Now no blinky blue.   lol

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Still cannot believe how fast this little box is.   Even decided to buy some Bose Companion 2 Series 3 speakers for $99 (Wal-Mart; same price on Amazon).   Unfortunately no way to adjust the frequency response with programs that came with my box.   Found a cool opensource program called Equalizer APO that addressed that; these little satellites can sing by the way.   Pretty happy now.   🙂

edit:

Just did a search and it apparently is in hybernate mode.  You can only get out of this mode by first running as administrator the following command (only have to do this once) even if you disable hibernate in the Windows settings.  I know hibernate is not ideal for a solid state drive but I’m willing to take my chances since I cannot stand that blinky blue (which now is back after I executed command; lol).   🙂

powercfg -hibernate off

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Lyle, go low tech, a piece of tape & paper no more blinking light. You can eve make it so you can flip it up if you want to “see the light”. LOL 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Unfortunaly, the LED light is around the parameter of my round power button.  Tried blocking the LED with some success (physically block that is) but still annoying.   I did check the BIOS for an off setting; there wasn’t one.  Oh well.  I can decide Hibernate or Sleep behavior as needed I suppose.  Do have a UPS running to protect both my PCs (and recently had to spent around $70 for a replacement battery (well it’s a 2 battery bounded together type of situation).   After 4 years, the old battery finally went kaput.   lololol

:)+

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Hope I did the right thing.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.