News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Hosting Videos for Selling

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’m working with a school who is hosting some of their class videos to package and sell in an on-demand course setup, with the main frontend likely being a courseware LMS such as Moodle, Canvas, or Blackboard.

They need a place to host their video files we can link/embed into the LMS/courseware. Since they are selling the courses, we can’t mark them public on any video hosting service.

Is there a way to pull this off using YouTube or Vimeo? The videos are created in Camtasia, so ScreenCast.com may also be an option.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #2284140 Reply
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

In yotuube if my memory dont fail, there is an option to make video private, in the sense that only those with the link can watch it.

they are called unlisted videos.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
        • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Zaphyrus.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2284169 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Can’t they put the videos on the Moodle server? Anywhere else would require public access to the location and the possibility of the files being downloaded directly.

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Paul T.
      • #2284430 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

The server is pretty strapped (we haven’t even put Moodle on it yet). We’d have to increase the server capacity to install Moodle, but I don’t know if the performance could handle uploading that amount of videos to it without dramatically reducing performance (site performance is already pretty slow with just a blog and school website on it).

Generally I tend to host videos somewhere else with CDN access to ensure the videos have speedy streaming performance for those who stream them. I did read TechSmith is launching Knowmia for $20/month which is geared for schools hosting lectures. That might be a little more “secure” than throwing them out on one of the larger ones since it would have tighter LMS integration.

Nathan Parker

• #2284432 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan,

I don’t know if this is any help, but there is a way to setup a private YouTube channel where you can “invite” some would-be users, giving them access, once they request this from you by email, for example. You could, separately, in your answer, make a condition for getting access that they pay a fee to your account before you give them access:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9481328?hl=en

(“You”, “your”, etc. = “the school”, “the school’s”, etc.)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2284433 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ll check that out as well.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Hosting Videos for Selling

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.