News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Hotmail account away from home

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

A Hotmail account is being used as a Microsoft account at home.

When the lady comes to the senior center, she cannot sign into her Hotmail account, so she tries to sign in as an Outlook account.

At home, she doesn’t sign into her Hotmail account, it’s always ready to use w/o signing in.
        — I asked her if she knew the password, she said yes but she still can’t sign in.

How can she use her Hotmail account when she isn’t home?
        — If she changes her Hotmail account password while at the senior center, wouldn’t that affect her Hotmail account at home?

Is it possible to upgrade the Hotmail account up to an Outlook account?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

zat_so
        AskWoody Plus

How can she use her Hotmail account when she isn’t home?

She would sign in, like she has been attempting, but with the correct password. (Despite what she says, it’s apparent she doesn’t know the password.)

— If she changes her Hotmail account password while at the senior center, wouldn’t that affect her Hotmail account at home?

Yes. The new password will become her Hotmail password.

Is it possible to upgrade the Hotmail account up to an Outlook account?

I don’t think she has to do anything. I have a Hotmail account, yet when I sign it, it shows as Outlook. If I put hotmail.com in the address bar of my browser, I am redirected to outlook.live.com.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

All of the hotmail, msn, live, outlook, and any other Microsoft variations have been migrated a long time ago to be serviced under the outlook.live.com umbrella. They are all essentially outlook.com aliases. No need to sign up for a new account. Anywhere you can sign on with an Outlook.com address you should be able to sign on with any of the other variations.

Have her sign on to a different computer at home if possible. If that does not work,  have her change the password at home, sign on with the password at home, then test at the senior center. If it works then she is most likely not entering the correct credentials at the senior center.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I didn’t get to the computer room until she was ready to leave and if I hadn’t caught that she had a Hotmail account I wouldn’t have noticed that. As has been mentioned, I don’t believe she knows the password. Thanks for your inputs as I understand them. As mentioned, changing her password at home is the best solution for her.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Hotmail account away from home

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.