News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How about some articles about Linux and MacOS in the newsletter?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems How about some articles about Linux and MacOS in the newsletter?

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

This is a suggestion about doing something new in the Newsletter that would be interesting and even useful to some of us, assuming it is possible — unless there is a good reason why the Newsletter has to be “all about Windows”, except for an occasional article of wider reach, but largely not OS-specific, such as buying refurbished computers.

So here it is:

Considering that some people that use this site, including some that moderate here, are also very knowledgeable about Linux and macOS, would it be possible to spike the Newsletter with an occasional article of particular interest to Mac or Linux users? (Who also may be users of Windows.)

Just a thought.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2278337 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I think this is a good idea, especially in an instance where a much used browser like Firefox is involved with Linux.  Case in point, this from Mozilla about the MSR for Firefox 78:

The minimal system requirements on Linux have been updated. Firefox now needs GNU libc 2.17, libstdc++ 4.8.1 and GTK+ 3.14 or newer versions.

Win 7, Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1, Klaatu barada nikto

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2278381 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

So… I don’t know what is in Woody’s, or Jamie’s, or Tracey’s heads… but you would need a knowledgeable person to write an article, and submit it… it is not very helpful to volunteer others to take on more work, in an environment where so many already donate their time and expertise.

Maybe its time for you to research an area of interest, write up your findings, and submit it for consideration? That would be much more helpful to the site, because it would probably make a great topic, even if it doesn’t get selected for the newsletter.

Just saying… in the amount of time spent wondering what others could do, one could research sources of good information… just pull it together into something concise and useful, and include references, especially if you aren’t really an expert and relying on the work of others. You have an idea about what you want to see… so take that vision, and see if you can manifest it, for yourself, and for the benefit of others, here. You could include screen shots of your system(s), and first hand experience with the various Windows alternatives… maybe how to do something specific in Windows vs Mac vs Linux? Work out the specific steps. Not all of us have time to document things like that, and you’ve made quite a few observations on the site, already. Get down to a specific topic, work it out so it reads well, and submit it… if you are really inspired, do a series on something that will help the rest of us trying out different OS…

Worst that can happen is that you will learn something. Best… others will learn and benefit from what you share.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2278391 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

It is just a suggestion, not a move to volunteer anyone. People will offer to contribute, or not, that’s up to them. But some people here are very knowledgeable on one or both macOS and LINUX and some  of them might also have contacts with people just as knowledgeable or even more that are used to write articles of the quality and seriousness required for their opinions to appear in the Newsletter. If my suggestion works out, in the sense that people volunteer to contribute, great. If that is not the case, then there was no harm in making a suggestion. I don’t believe that I am knowledgeable enough to write articles at the level required for the Newsletter on either of the mentioned OS, but what I can or can’t do is not the point.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2278382 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

We’ve been broadening our scope, both in the newsletters, and on this site. I’m sure you’ve noticed. 🙂

The simple fact is that there are very, very few “Windows only” people out there. We’re all using phones, most of us use tablets, and more than a few (like me!) rely on Chromebooks. One of the main tech moderators in these parts runs everything on a Mac.

Have a specific topic in mind? Feel up to submitting an article?

5 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2278404 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Woody, I do not think the Newsletter should become an equal opportunity vehicle for distributing information on the various operating systems out there that some, several, or many of us here are using besides Windows. Windows should most properly continue to have the larger share of space in a Newsletter distributed in this site.

Answering what I understand to be a suggestion of yours: I am not prepared to volunteer an article, because I am not really knowledgeable enough to write on LINUX or macOS at the required level, or assist with the selection of articles, make editorial suggestions to their authors, etc. But without mentioning any names, there is at least one among us that tends to write quite extensive, informative and helpful comments on issues and questions related to LINUX that some of us ask or bring up now and then and would be a good example of an adequate candidate for that kind of contribution. And this person might also know others that could be invited to write on the subject. You also know of at least two among us, on the Mac side, that might qualify equally well. These are just examples, nothing more.

• #2278407 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I write articles from time to time and post them to the Linux forum. The only difference between these and a de facto article is the place they’re “published,” since they are meant to be standalone posts rather than requests for assistance or replies to an already existing thread.

That’s not completely true, the bit about these standalone posts being articles, as writing a real article to be published means (or at least it used to mean) working with an editor and a word budget, but that’s probably not a part of the process to the same degree that it is in print, or in “print” on a major “magazine” web site.

Being concise is not my strong point, but I’ve managed to trim some of my stuff down enough to fit into my allotted space before. Not my favorite thing, as I like to really sink my teeth into a favored subject, but having a fixed limit in a print periodical is an immovable barrier compared with the ease of an electronic medium.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.19.4).

• #2278497 Reply
          anonymous

Ascaris wrote:
          I write articles from time to time and post them to the Linux forum.

Woody and his team are smart and experienced, but as the saying goes: “Birds gotta fly. Fish gotta swim. Woody gotta write about Windows.” In other words, I wouldn’t recommend anyone hold their breath while waiting for a Leonhard-on-Linux column to appear in Computerworld. 🙂

But fortunately, as Ascaris mentions, Woody gave us all a linux forum to post in… thanks Woody!

More good news: there’s solid evidence Woody himself reads posts on the linux forum, and he’s even been known to elevate a particularly interesting post by reposting about the topic on his main blog!

Hope this helps.

• #2278504 Reply
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you all for this topic. As times go by, some articles about LINUX and MacOS appears here. Askwoody users/contributors create them in the forums section.

Sometimes, people ask a question about iPad, or Linux Mint and they create new topic about this.
        Since this forum is focused on troubleshooting, you need people that are skilled enough to help others in these systems. And there are such people on this forum, for which I thank them.
        I think newsletter about LINUX is completely different story, which distro would you prefer? There is so much going on in opensource community.. There are so many websites..
        MacOS is another different story. They announce their news on official channel – its relatively easy to stay in touch with MacOS new features.
        Also, sometimes, you see here information about new releases of other operating systems, hardware information, security and other general topics, that are also valid outside Windows.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2278646 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Doriel #2278504  : ” I think newsletter about LINUX is completely different story, which distro would you prefer? There is so much going on in opensource community.. There are so many websites..

My suggestion is NOT to create a dedicated Newsletter edition for LINUX (or macOS), or even a regular column in the present Newsletter.

Although there are many flavors of LINUX, they all share quite a bit of important things that are of interest to us loungers that also use LINUX. So, for example, an occasional review article might be interesting to read on the characteristics, issues, etc. of a new version of the kernel, or new, or new versions of commonly used application software, comparisons between distros desktop look-and-feel, etc. These are not normally included in the forums, that deal mostly with problems some users encounter, specific questions they have, or even with technical matters of interest mainly to those who work on computers rather than use them. There is a place for everything, and more than one thing that might be given a place.

There are also many Web sites with information on Windows, but this does not mean that it is pointless to have also a Newsletter about Windows here.

• #2278963 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

I would also point out to the fact that articles that appear in a newsletter are usually written to a higher standard than comments made here in the forums. It is not enough to state, explicitly or implicitly: “I say so and tell you so, because I know a lot about this, have worked for ages in the relevant technical fields, and you must, therefore, believe me when I clearly and unequivocally, as right here and now, say that this is so.”  Newsletter articles are also subject to editing and must fulfill a minimum of style requirements. So there is an important difference between something written as a comment in a forum here, even if it is later re-posted in AskWoody’s Home page, and a full article published in the Newsletter.

• #2278530 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I’ve often wondered if a newsletter focused on Mac, Linux, ChromeOS or the various iOS’s would be self-sustaining.

It costs a lot of money to start and maintain a first-class newsletter. And there are many good alternatives – my favorite is JR Raphael’s Android Intelligence newsletter.

• #2278591 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Actually my suggestion is NOT to have a regular feature on macOS or LINUX, but to include articles on something of interest to those who also use one or both operating systems, now and then. Sometimes I hope people would read what I wrote when starting a thread like this one, but I am as guilty as everyone else of not always doing so in other people’s threads…

• #2279442 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I wrote a few Mac articles that made it into the newsletter (condensed versions of my Mac switcher guide for Windows).

On the Mac/Apple side (since that’s the platform I spend the bulk of my time on), I’m willing to write anything for the newsletter. If there are particular topics you want to hear about, let me know and I’ll “sharpen” my word processor. 🙂

I also have some Linux and Windows knowledge as well, but others are covering that well enough, so I spend the bulk of my energy writing on the Apple orchard.

Nathan Parker

• #2279459 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Nathan, Since you have asked for suggestions and to get this conversation going:

How about a review article covering some of these types of applications for Macs, listed below, with the added bonus that the recommendations in the review are not coming from someone who write for Web sites that are well-known but seem to have a penchant for promoting stuff that is often not that great (as I have bought a few times to my sorrow) because …. (your favorite conspiracy theory here.)

(1) Sound quality applications that include, among other things, a nice frequency equalizer that lets you adjust the frequency response — and the volume– of the audio channel.

(2) Applications for ripping DVD and others for recording the monitor screen for the perhaps legally dubious, but nice to be able to do, capture of online streaming video. But without ending with enormous files if one does not want a totally uncompressed, one bit for one bit copy, by being able to control the level of compression of the copy.

(3) Picture-processing software, including photos, PDF documents, JPEG, GIF… that can either be a good alternative or a good complement to “Preview”, that is the default Mac application for some of those things, other than photos (and a pretty good one too, in my opinion).

(4) Good applications for making animated cat GIFs.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2285468 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I have a Mac article coming in a future newsletter. Stay tuned…

Nathan Parker

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How about some articles about Linux and MacOS in the newsletter?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.