News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How did Microsoft sneaked a driver ?

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update How did Microsoft sneaked a driver ?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Alex5723 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I have my Windows 10 1809 pro set to block drives installation, yet, I just found out that Microsoft sneaked a printer driver yesterday.
      How did this happen ?
      The HP dj 2600 is a network (wi-fi) printer which is off (it may have been is use yesterday).

Attachments:
    • #948437 Trash | Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Open Group Policy (gpedit.msc)
      Local Computer Policies>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templets>
      Windows Components>Automatic Update>
      Do not include drivers in Windows Update = Enable

• #959481 Trash | Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Open Group Policy (gpedit.msc)
      Local Computer Policies>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templets>
      Windows Components>Automatic Update>
      Do not include drivers in Windows Update = Enable

You mean that Microsoft disregards ‘Device Installation Settings’ ? so I have to resort to Group Policy ?

‘Do not include drivers in Windows Update’ has been enabled.

Attachments:
      • #959735 Trash | Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Try Windows Update instead of Automatic Updaates (under W) – I work from a Mac, my Win10s are in VMs, and my memory is going in my old age!

• #959934 Trash | Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

‘Do not include drivers in Windows Update’ has been enabled.

Found the setting. ‘Do not include drivers in Windows Update’ has been enabled.

Attachments:
    • #960589 Trash | Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

I don’t have an answer for you but just wondering… do you have your Win 10 install set at the default to ‘Let Windows manage my printer‘?

If so, I wonder if MS overrides your ‘block driver download’ in the case of printers?

To check:

1. Open Settings and navigate to Devices > Printers & scanners.

2. In the *right*-hand pane, is there a tick in the Let Windows manage my default printer checkbox?

or

1. Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows

2. In the *right*-hand pane you should see an entry called LegacyDefaultPrinterMode.

win-10-default-printer-setting-in-registry

Is the value 0?

(I always change the value to 1 [using an AutoHotkey script].)

The reason I ask is because if the answer is ‘Yes’ (Settings) or ‘o’ (Registry) then MS, not you, is in control.

Going by the Settings pane it looks like MS *can* download/install printer drivers (except over metered connections) unless you remove the tick from the Let Windows manage my default printer checkbox.

win-10-default-printer-setting-in-registry01

If, however, you *do* want this behaviour then – if you have your internet connection set as ‘metered’ – you need to put a tick in the Download over metered connections checkbox.

Hope this helps…

EDIT: Posted too late. 🙂

Attachments:
      • #961381 Trash | Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I believe it you “Let Windows manage your printer” it will make the last used printer the default. I always uncheck it.

• #962047 Trash | Reply

Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

Yes, but that’s just about behaviour, not about Windows overriding a user-defined preference re: download of drivers.

• #961954 Trash | Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

“Let Windows manage your printer”

“Let Windows manage your printer” is checked. I will have to uncheck as my default printer is my Samsung printer.

I suppose that when Windows find a new hardware it will disregards any driver update settings.

Attachments:
      • #962156 Trash | Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

That setting to let Win manage th printer has nothing to do with driver download. See this to control MS driver installs.

• #962541 Trash | Reply

Rick Corbett
          AskWoody_MVP

Hence my “EDIT: Posted too late.” addendum when OP confirmed what the issue was for him/her.

I just asked a question pertinent to both Home and Pro users (where the latter may not have experience of the Local Group Policy Editor).

• #980795 Trash | Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

That setting to let Win manage th printer has nothing to do with driver download. See this to control MS driver installs.

As I posted ‘‘Do not include drivers in Windows Update’ has been enabled.
      The system even created a ‘critical update’ restore point 🙂

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How did Microsoft sneaked a driver ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.