News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• How Do I Change Normal.dot?

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 2019 for PC How Do I Change Normal.dot?

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        ussrankin
        AskWoody Plus

I want to change my default font to 14 pt Calibri. How on earth do I make this simple(?) change? After that, I want to add a new style (named No Spacing), then change the colors and fonts on some of the headings.

It seems like I should be able to go somewhere to make these changes in normal.dotx, (and normal.dotm) but I can’t find any place to do that.

When I press F1, which used to get Help in Word 2010, I get a message that my organization’s administrator turned off that service. I am independent and not part of any organization.

Help!!!!

Lou Sander

ussrankin
        AskWoody Plus

Huh?

This is for Word 2019.

Lou Sander

bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

In Word 2010 –

Click on the ‘Home’ tab.  It should display information including which font and point size will be used for any typing from that point forward.  The small down arrows at the right side of each field offers numerous other choices.  Bold, italix,underline, … color (capital A with a color bar beneath) are all changeable on the home tab as well.  Change as appropriate and you’re good to go.

To change any of the settings for existing text, move the cursor to the start of the text to be changed, hold the right mouse button down and highlight as much as desired, then release the button.  Change the same items as indicated above.

As for ‘normal’ style, etc, on the same  ‘Home’ tab, showing a variety of styles such as ‘no spacing’, ‘Heading 1’, all the way to the right is the ‘change styles’ button with two overlapped ‘A’s.  Click the little down arrow and change as desired.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by bratkinson.
        Attachments:
        access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

My help does work. Here’s how to change the font in the normal template

1.Go to Home, and then select the Font Dialog Box Launcher.

Take me there

2.Choose the font and size you want to use.

3.Select Set As Default.

4.Choose one of the following:

◾ This document only

◾ All documents based on the Normal template.

5.Select OK twice.

Hopefully you can make other changes in a similar way

Every day is the dawn of a new error

ussrankin
        AskWoody Plus

This is a great mystery! I have found where the Normal template is stored, at least in Office 2019. Unfortunately, I have messed up my copy while experimenting. If anyone has NOT messed up their copy, I would love it if they could post it here.

Open File Explorer and find it at:

%appdata%/Microsoft/Templates

I THINK a copy from Word 2010 would work as well, but I’d have to test it.

Lou Sander

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

With Word closed, locate the Normal.dot Template and rename it to Normal.old.
        When you start Word, a new one will be created.

I recommend you create a document with all your customisations in it and then save it as a Template to be used in the future.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Moonshine.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
          ussrankin
          AskWoody Plus

It worked! I got some static about files being open, but I restarted and they went away.

I had already saved my other Template files by following the advice in a Dummies 2019 book.

Now I’d like to use the Word 2010 Heading fonts instead of those for Word 2019. I think I saw something about that somewhere, but I forget where. It’s always a pain, adjusting to a new version of familiar software.

Lou Sander

b
        AskWoody MVP

When I press F1, which used to get Help in Word 2010, I get a message that my organization’s administrator turned off that service. I am independent and not part of any organization.

Help!!!!

That’s probably because you have disabled Connected Experiences at File, Options, General, Privacy Settings. Office Help requires both of these to be enabled:

OfficeConnectedExperiences

Attachments:
          ussrankin
          AskWoody Plus

It worked!

I recently bought this computer from Craigslist. I imagine the previous owner turned them off.

Lou Sander

b
        anonymous

Now that I have my preferred formats in my own template, I’d REALLY like all my new documents to open with those formats. I think that means I will have to rename my template as normal.dotx and save it in the special place where normal is saved (%appdata%/Microsoft/Templates). Am I right about that, and how can I make it happen?

Also, what’s the difference between normal.dotx and normal.dotm?

I’m slowly catching on to this stuff, but I still have a way to go.

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

dotm allows macros, dotx doesn’t. Same applies to docm and docx.

Every day is the dawn of a new error

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by access-mdb.
    Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: How Do I Change Normal.dot?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.