News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• How do I get to %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows How do I get to %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        dmt_3904
        AskWoody Plus

I had clicked on a couple sites that were flagged by Virustotal. (Reputable sites, they were!!) Anyway, MBAM & Defender full scans were ok. But I wanted to do more scans.

Ran MS Safety Scanner tool  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

It showed 2 detections while it was running, but said nothing was found once it completed.  Instructions say: Review the scan results displayed on screen. For detailed detection results, view the log at %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log.

But I don’t know how to get to that log, can someone help me???  Where is %SYSTEMROOT%? thanks.

PKCano
        Manager

Try C:\Windows\debug

1 user thanked author for this post.
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

[ %systemroot% ] almost certainly is [ C:\Windows ].
        So the string resolves to [ C:\Windows\debug\msert.log ]
        Thus, you could key [ notepad %systemroot%\debug\msert.log ].

1. Open a Command Prompt, it needn’t be an elevated prompt.
        2. Key in [ set ]; nothing else is needed.
        3. Look down the list of ‘Environment Variables’. The list is long, but in alphabetical order.

If you wish, you may just copy/paste your search string into the address bar of Explorer.

In all of the above, case (upper/lower) is irrelevant and ignored.

The name of any item in the Environment Variable list may be bracketed by the per-cent character. Then when this %item% is used, Windows will use the accompanying value. It is a ‘doofer’ shortcut.

Edit: OK; PKC typed the shortcut … while I was composing this longcut. (slow typist!)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

Found this also works – bring up search, type %systemroot%, select %systemroot% file folder. Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: How do I get to %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.