News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How do you select updates to download/install

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update How do you select updates to download/install

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

berniec 1 day, 18 hours ago.

• Author

berniec
      AskWoody Plus

I’m fairly new to win10 and this is my first runin with a monthly rollup.  I’m running win10/pro 1809.  I’ve disabled all the auto-updating stuff [both via the ‘defer’ machinery in settings AND with the group policy editor.  I’m quite happy with that — I get a notification about every other day for a defender update and that’s great.

But now I have a defender update AND the June rollup and I can’t find a way to tell win10 just to do the defender rollup and continue to wait with the others.   The way people talk about selecting updates made me think there was going to be a win7-like dialogue where you could check and unchecked updates but the only thing I have on the updates page is “updates avaiable, the list of them [five right now] all marked “Pending download” and a “Download” button.

What do I do to be able to select updates to download/install?

• #1840706 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

There’s no built-in way in Windows 10 to pick and choose the updates you’ll take.

There are ways to accomplish what you want, but they involve using special applications made for that purpose. The best-known one is the Windows Update MiniTool, but I believe there is at least one other program like it, whose name I can’t remember.

To get an idea of how it works, you might want to read the WUMT page linked to above, and you can also do a search here at Woody’s to see what people are saying about it.

Good luck!

• #1840778 Reply

bjm
      AskWoody Lounger

There’s no built-in way in Windows 10 to pick and choose the updates you’ll take.

There are ways to accomplish what you want, but they involve using special applications made for that purpose. The best-known one is the Windows Update MiniTool, but I believe there is at least one other program like it, whose name I can’t remember.

To get an idea of how it works, you might want to read the WUMT page linked to above, and you can also do a search here at Woody’s to see what people are saying about it.

Good luck!

Maybe, you’re thinking Windows Update Manager
      https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-update-manager.408022/

• This reply was modified 2 days, 22 hours ago by
         bjm.
      • This reply was modified 2 days, 22 hours ago by
         bjm.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1840864 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus
    • #1842408 Reply

berniec
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the info. I have MS’s “wushowhide” Am I correct that al I need to do is run it, “hide” the monthly rollup [pending an OK from the Patch Lady] and then when I do ‘update’ just my defender updates will happen. [and then as they’re OK’ed, I just “show” the various other patches].

• #1842421 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

There are instructions for controlling Windows Update in Win10 Pro here.
      It includes reasons for the Group Policy settings and GUI settings.
      Also, how to use wushowhide and how to clear the Windows Update queue.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1843111 Reply

berniec
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for reminding me of the link Back when I was getting started with win10 I used your info to get updates configured.. but… I didn’t think, then, much about actually blocking/enabling specific updates.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How do you select updates to download/install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.