News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How doomed are new laptops with newer Windows 10 versions?

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 How doomed are new laptops with newer Windows 10 versions?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  EP 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

I have another friend who have just bought a laptop, after helping her setting up the laptop I noticed that it came with 1809 installed   should I be concerned about stability for her?

or systems that have the lastest version installed are different from computers that upgraded to the last version?

if her windows is unstable what can she and I do?

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    • #339213 Reply

Barry
      AskWoody Plus

Despite what you might read on this site 1809 is completely stable.[ have been using it since the day it came out with no problems.

If she is a gamer there was a problem with the last update that caused problems with a few games that i am sure microsoft will fix soon if they haven’t already.

Barry (Seeker)
      Windows 10 Home V 1903

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #339214 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

Well  about that I think that most of the people of this site know what they are doing and have powerful reasons to advices us not to upgrade so I trust them   I know a sound a little bootlicker, but that’s what I believe

as for my friend, she is just a regular student.  and thank you, that gives me a little peace knowing that she will be fine.

• #339275 Reply

anonymous

Whatever it is, tell her to always have a Win 10 1809 System Recovery USB flashdrive or DVD backup = to do an OS reinstall just in case a forced auto-update/upgrade fails.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #339227 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Just know there are other voices here that are not quite as paranoid about Windows 10 and updates as many are here,

--Joe

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #339257 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

I am pretty aware. that most of the time they are sometimes a little paranoid ç

however better be safe than sorry.

• #339228 Reply

anonymous

That is a wide open question for a post topic, like always you and friend will need to remain aware.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #339259 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

Indeed, we will stay alert.

• #339290 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Despite what you might read on this site 1809 is completely stable.

It’s easy to do a very rough check. Download and run Nir Sofer’s FullEventLogView (make sure you download the right ‘bitness’ for your system – 32-bit or (most likely) 64-bit.

Choose Advanced Options from the Options menu (or press F9). Leave ticks in the Critical, Error and Warning checkboxes but remove the others.

Amend the Show interval to just the last 24 hours (for example, or any other interval of your choice) then click on the OK button so the results are recalculated with your filter criteria.

FullEventLogView

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #339306 Reply

Barry
        AskWoody Plus

Very nice tool.

thanks Rick

Barry (Seeker)
        Windows 10 Home V 1903

• #341467 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Actually… I’ve been testing 1809 for a while and have noticed a distinct lack of event entries for things I’d expect to get them for.

But the stability thing really seems to be distinctly hardware-dependent, including any external peripherals you use.

So yeah… save early, save often, keep backups. Just like with everything else.

• #339310 Reply

Barry
      AskWoody Plus

Despite what you might read on this site 1809 is completely stable.[ have been using it since the day it came out with no problems. If she is a gamer there was a problem with the last update that caused problems with a few games that i am sure microsoft will fix soon if they haven’t already.

Looking Back at my comment what i meant to say is

” Despite what you might read from others on this site i believe 1809 is completely stable”

It came across as a little harsh and i certainly respect others opinion.

Barry (Seeker)
      Windows 10 Home V 1903

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #345290 Reply

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

if the build number of v1809 is at least build 17763.253 then yes 1809 is relatively “stable”
        type winver.exe at the Run dialog box to show the Windows 10 v1809 build number

when 1809 was first released (build 17763.1) in early October 2018, that one caused the user file deletion problem and was pulled by MS several days later and re-released 1809 in mid-Novmeber 2018 with build 17763.107. then in late January 2019, the win10 media creation tool started downloading refreshed ESDs that create 1809 ISOs with build 17763.253.

• #341463 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

She is more likely to drop the laptop / have it stolen than have major issues with Windows IMO, so a regular backup will solve whichever problem may or may not occur.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How doomed are new laptops with newer Windows 10 versions?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel