News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• How I noticeably sped up Chromium Edge.

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software How I noticeably sped up Chromium Edge.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll add significantly so, but I digress.  Can do the same for Chrome as well.

For Edge, you type edge://flags (Chrome users use chrome://flags) in the address bar and then change the desired settings. Note, you may want to lay off Choose ANGLE graphics backend to Default, but OpenGL helped my system. Just sharing a tip. Best to remember the original settings before toying and I suggest you do a setting at a time to make sure you won’t have any issue with your particular browsing setup.  🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you for this, good to know that we can adjust browser this way. Im just not sure with the rendering. If you suspend ANGLE graphics in OpenGL, it can cause unstability. ANGLE is virtualisation layer provided for better compatibility. Its a “bridge” between OpenGL and DirectX.

Disabling this virtual layer can really speedup browser, but watch out for crashes and bugs.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Indeed, while testing different options within ANGEL, one did cause a crash.   lololol

Right now I’m sticking with OpenGL but D3D11 seemed to give me better results on some of the sites I visited but it could just as well have been a network issue for some sites.  Again, I did mention folk might just want to leave that setting to the Default.   Thanks for the additional Doriel.  Maybe others can add to this thread.  My motivation that got me on the quest was how lousy/slow pages would render. Found several threads and each time I tried those suggestions, my pages would render faster.   Best improvement happened when I changed the Override software rendering list settings, but things sped up a bit more with the Lazy settings (at least for me).    🙂

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

Ran accross site believe for 30 tweaks to try.

https://www.techidence.com/30-google-chrome-flags-to-improve-browser-speed/#:~:text=Future%20V8%20VM%20features%3A%20mark%20as%20%E2%80%98Enabled%E2%80%99.%20Hyperlink,and%204.%20Offline%20Auto-Reload%20Mode%3A%20mark%20as%20%E2%80%98Disabled%E2%80%99.

I only added 2 more to my flags list.  Heavy Ad Intervention and Future V8 VM features which I may or may not have gotten solely from above mentioned site.  Some observations overall.   Zero Copy Rasterization works great on my home PC but was not stable on my work PC, so you have to determine how each of the flags’ benefit or not for our system.   Overall, I’m pretty stoked.  Now if your are worried about power consumption, you may not want to do any of the tweaks mentioned.   Just fyi.   🙂

lylejk
        AskWoody Plus

OK; final settled tweaks for my system; you might find other settings better.  I did change angle setting to Direct3D as shown since it appears faster than OpenGL for my rig.   🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: How I noticeably sped up Chromium Edge.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.