News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How long should it take to "reset" Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Laptop?

Posted on WSStevenXXXX Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 How long should it take to "reset" Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Laptop?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WSStevenXXXX 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

WSStevenXXXX
      AskWoody Plus

Dell Inspiron 17   5000 Series   Model 5770 Laptop

Purchased 12-17 with Windows 8 & quickly upgraded to Windows 10 Pro

A couple of days ago, I installed an Intel Management Engine Interface Driver dtd 5-16-19 (using “Dell Update”)

Even though it did not require me to restart my system, I did restart it.

But, it never restarted.  Just got the Dell Logo & the spinning symbol.

Manually shut down the system & restarted it numerous times.

At the limited times when it would allow me to get to some recovery options, I tried to restore it to the point before that driver installation.  But, that never completed.

Out of frustration, I started a “reset” about 5 hours ago that would keep all of my files / documents.

At one point early on, it did show that it was removing all of the changes which I assume were all of my settings changes, etc.  But now, I have been at the screen that shows the Dell Logo & the spinning wheel.

Can a “reset” of Windows 10 Pro possibly take that long?

• #1757611 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

It is possible you had a coincidental hardware failure.

Boot from an Ultimate Boot CD test.

cheers, Paul

• #1759103 Reply

WSStevenXXXX
      AskWoody Plus

After running for 10 hours +/-, I manually shut it down using the Power Button before going to bed last night.

After restarting it a few times, I finally got back to the choice to restore it to a previous restore point.

In the past, that would also never complete, but this time it did complete.  However, it would still not restart.  So, I am back to square 1

• #1761084 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Can you restore a backup and then start again?

If not you may have to do a repair install of Windows after booting from DVD/USB.

cheers, Paul

• #1762958 Reply

WSStevenXXXX
      AskWoody Plus

THANKS for your input

I did finally restore a backup – & everything is working again.

Am out of town now – but will explain why I did not do that earlier when I return.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  WSStevenXXXX.
      • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  WSStevenXXXX.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How long should it take to "reset" Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Laptop?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.