Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How make Win10 1803 update itself faster?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1803 – April 2018 Update How make Win10 1803 update itself faster?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 hours, 39 minutes ago.

• Author

anonymous

Win Pro 1803, Group A, Group Update setting 2, Semi-Annual, Feature delay 365 days, Quality delay 10 days.  Also have Group Policy set to not download drivers.

When I had 1709, I could reduce Quality delay days, or use wushowhide then shut down, wait 5 mins or so and re-start. Within 5 mins my system would automatically check for updates again and bring down previously delayed updates or make any show/hide changes.

With 1803 my system no longer performs that update after a shut down/re-start so I have to wait for the built in 22 hour automatic check update cycle for changes to take effect.

Is there anyway to make 1803 automatically check for updates faster since I dont want to use the manual check button?  I note there is a Group Policy setting to adjust the timing but it also says there needs to be another setting enabled that looks like its for a business or intranet.

Any ideas?

• #237974 Reply

anonymous

No answers, thoughts or direction?

Must have stumped the masses and Woody crew on this one!

• #237988 Reply

b
      AskWoody Lounger

If you want to check for updates what’s wrong with clicking check for updates?

Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant "Toxic drinker"

• #238176 Reply

anonymous

That would be what MS considers a “Seeker” and MS will deliver any and all updates it decides you should have including the latest version of Windows 10 if it has been released to general users.

Per Woody & the crew NEVER push the Check for Updates button!

If you let Windows check on its’ own, you dont have that problem but you must wait until MS decides to check – which is the genisus of my question.

• #238179 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Windows Update Service – is it on manual? If so, set it to Automatic delayed.

Your setting of 2 in Group Policy will keep it from downloading automatically. I you feel threatened by that, set your Internet connections to Metered as well.

• #238187 Reply

b
        AskWoody Lounger

But as you have updates deferred, what could that get that you don’t want?

No one got 1809 with feature updates deferred, even if Check was clicked.

Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Sucker More intrepid Crazy/ignorant "Toxic drinker"

• #238445 Reply

anonymous

No one got 1809 with feature updates deferred, even if Check was clicked

Not sure that is true, the reason it doesnt come down lately is because it has been “pulled” from circulation.  Once allowed back, I think it would come down, other versions in the past have ignored Group Policy 2 setting.

• #238466 Reply

b
        AskWoody Lounger

I don’t believe Defer feature updates for 365 days has ever been ignored.

• #238448 Reply

anonymous

Windows Update Service – is it on manual? If so, set it to Automatic delayed

PK, it is on automatic.  But automatic, as I understand it, is approx every 22 hours give or take a couple hours.  So all I can do is wait it out.

I could force 1709 to check for updates after each shut down and boot up, but not 1803.

There is a setting in Updates in Group Policy to set a timing, but it also requires some other url settings which seems to be businsess related vs for a consumer.

Can you check into that or maybe Susan has info on?

• #238670 Reply

anonymous

PK, Susan, Woody or others please check out this link and the boxed requirement. Will this Group Policy Setting work without the intranet Microsoft update service location setting?
      https://www.thewindowsclub.com/automatic-updates-detection-frequency

For this policy to take effect, the “Specify intranet Microsoft update service location” setting must also be enabled

• #238678 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Looks like a possibility. Why don’t you try it and let us know.
        Make a note of what you do so you can undo it if it doesn’t work.

• #238685 Reply

anonymous

PK, this is too scary for me as I dont have the technical knowledge to recover should things go wrong (such as it pulls down 1809!).

So was hoping someone with a virtual system, test bed system, or better skill level would give this a try.

• #238688 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

Make the changes in GP. If it doesn’t work, put it back like it was. You won’t break anything.

• #239617 Reply

anonymous

My testing indicates that it is possible to see an effect by changing Automatic update detection frequency in group policy without enabling the intranet Microsoft update service location setting. I am on Win 10 pro 1809, so no guarantee of the same results for Win 10 1803.

My current settings, group policy Auto Updates are set to option 2, Notify for Download. My last check for updates was 2:46 PM. I enabled and changed the detection frequency to 1 hour at approx 4:45 PM and restarted the PC.

At 6:49 PM the system checked for updates. Shows “You’re Up to Date”. ( I have kb4449041 Nov preview cumulative .net  hidden with wushowhide and this kb remains hidden)

At 8:42 PM the system checked for updates again. This time only shows pending Defender Updates.

After testing tomorrow, will likely revert changes.

• #239709 Reply

anonymous

Very interesting feedback.  Though not the 1 hour you set (more like every 2 hours), still  much more frequent than the Windows default of 22 hours plus or minus.

Since you obviously have Windows 10 Pro, do you have your Quality Update delay days setting at 0 (zero) days delay ?

• #240011 Reply

Sueska
        AskWoody Lounger

Sorry for the delayed response. I am the 239617 poster. Yes, my Quality Update delay days setting is at 0 (zero) days delay. I haven’t reverted the frequency setting back yet, so I did a bit more testing today. The actual time between checks is quite variable. It is worth noting that the info screen in group policy for the frequency setting indicates that “The exact wait time is a sum of the specific value and a random variant of 0-4 hrs.” Today my checks for updates were at the following times, 11:30am, 3:43pm, 4:35pm, 5:38pm, and 7:43pm. As a test I installed one of my pending updates from the windows catalog, Dec’s Malicious Software removal tool at about 6 pm. The windows update queue continued to show this update as pending until the system re-checked for updates at 7:43pm. Absolutely no issues with changing this group policy frequency setting. My original group policy setting of notify to download is still being honored. Nothing installed behind my back. I find the 22 hr wait to be extremely inconvenient. Susan Bradley’s method of checking for updates, has been the best method for me. If you could find someone knowledgeable in powershell to help you get set up and instruct you on how to use, this method adds back that layer of control of just being able to check what you need without downloading and installing right now. Link to Susan’s article https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-lady-controlling-windows-updates/

• #239897 Reply

anonymous

PK wrote:

Windows Update Service – is it on manual? If so, set it to Automatic delayed.

I checked and my setting in Services>Windows Update is Manual (Trigger Start).

Updated to ver 1803 several months ago, I have never looked at this setting or changed anything there or in Services (did set Group Policy to 2).  So is this not the default setting?

What does Manual (Trigger Start) mean?

What does Automatic (Delayed Start) mean?  And verses just Automatic?

• #239900 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Manual (trigger start) = that the service will start when required/ called for when dependancies ask for it.
        Automatic (Delayed Start) = will load other services and dependancies first and delay the automatic service in question.
        Automatic = as per system requirements (dependant on system set-up usually)

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
      • #239902 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Windows Update frequency, left as is, is controlled by tasks in the Task Scheduler that are set by the system as defaults. If you have not cnanged anything, the Manual (Trigger Start) is the default.

• #240547 Reply

anonymous

Do you know how Services> Windows Update = Task Scheduler> Windows Update relates to Group Policy> Windows Update> Automatic Updates detection frequency?

Seems they are both in control of the same thing.

• #239911 Reply

anonymous

So back to the OP’s original question,  how does changing the Windows Update default setting Manual (Trigger Start) to Automatic (Delayed Start) have anything to do with getting Updates more frequently?

And could one simply go to Windows Update Services and click on “Start” in the Service status area to make the service immediately check for updates?  Or is this the same as becoming a Seeker and pressing the Check for Updates button in Settings>Windows Update area?

Finding some faster way to force a Windows Update would certainly help with more quickly re-setting the Windows Update area after hiding pending updates with wushowhide tool.

• #239933 Reply

anonymous

PK wrote:

Windows Update frequency, left as is, is controlled by tasks in the Task Scheduler that are set by the system as defaults.

I’m out on a limb here but:

Would another possibility be to create a new trigger in the Task Scheduler>Windows Update for at Startup with say a 5 or 10 minute delay?  Or does the exisiting Task Scheduler run a specialized version of Windows Updater that should not be triggered at start up? Or if run at startup would this interfere or override the default setting timing and cause a problem?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How make Win10 1803 update itself faster?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.