News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How much does Big Tech make by selling one's data?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Rumors and what-ifs How much does Big Tech make by selling one's data?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 weeks ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

The following article has caught my attention:

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/july-august-2019/what-your-data-is-really-worth-to-facebook/

It first shows the results of some investigative journalism work in the form of estimates of how much Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. might be making, singly or in aggregate. Then, it speculates as to possible legal remedies against this so far legal activity, that might actually work, deciding against regulation, arguing that the companies in question might find ways of defeating it, and favoring, instead, the idea of making them pay to their users for their data.

Now, as it appears, the scooping up and selling our personal data is supposed to be limited to gathering that information which makes “targeted advertising” possible by those companies that buy this information to get a competitive advantage using it.

This brings in turn, a question here of my own: although, somehow, at some time in the past, I have been “tracked”, because when I search for something often I get “hits” of issues at best vaguely related to what I am looking for, but for companies and organizations in my home state and even in my own township. However, the subjects of those “hits” themselves mostly look random and unrelated to myself and my real activity on the Web (which, I can assure the reader, is quite vigorous), because they have almost always nothing at all to do with me or my search and the very few times they might have some relevance are probably statistical flukes. Also, in those few sites where I do not block the adds, the ones that show up are remarkably off target. So, either the vaunted targeting capability of the AIs dedicated to analyzing personal data by the zillions is less than advertised, or, to those AIs, I am a remarkably uninteresting person so they do not bother targeting me, or…? I wonder if this might have something to do with my using an add blocker in most sites I visit, with very few exemptions, not belonging to Facebook or any of the other purely social networks, using Chrome only for a few sites and with ad blocker on, and to deleting third-party cookies, Internet temporary folders and surfing history once and even twice a day? Perhaps, perhaps not, so if someone else here has some idea as to why this might happen, I would like to know too.

• #1860915 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

How Much Can Facebook Potentially Make from Selling Your Data?

https://www.investopedia.com/tech/how-much-can-facebook-potentially-make-selling-your-data/

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by
         Alex5723.
    • #1861201 Reply

anonymous

You block advertisements and are cleaning third party cookies, those actions seem to help resist some of the tracking data points. Do you remember opting out of personalized advertising at one time somewhere in Chrome and Windows 10?

• #1861208 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Anonymous: I have Windows 7 and Chrome. I am curious, as I did not know about that, in learning more about opting out personalized advertising. Perhaps, not just for my benefit, but also for that of others who might decide to have a look here, you could explain how one can opt out? And does “opting out” mean not only that Goodgle won’t target one with ads, but that it will also will not continue to siphon one’s data to help it’s AIs figure out how to best target everybody not opting out?

• #1861215 Reply

Microfix
          Da Boss

Perhaps this will help Google chrome answers

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1864830 Reply

anonymous

Short of not using Google or Windows 10, opting-out means to turn off targeted personalized advertisements. They’ll still slurp or suck data if you let them, there are so many options a user has to turn off or pause.

It will always be a need to verify every so often all of the settings to make sure there is nothing new to turn off, and there is no great amount of data stored on Google & Microsoft servers if you use an account.

Google’s list of methods to opt-out of personalized advertisements.

For Windows 10 if you one choose to use it one day, the advertisement related stuff is under Settings > Privacy > General. It says that it is off, when I used some applications that had advertisements displayed they were actually random.

Microsoft Edge will also have be configured to limit personalized advertisements.

A properly configured firewall, blocking third party cookies, and the tracking script blocking browser extensions uBlock Origin (uMatrix) may work better for the AI which concern you.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How much does Big Tech make by selling one's data?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.