• How much our privacy is worth ?

Author
    Topic

The Price Cybercriminals Charge for Stolen Data

For the price of a Starbuck’s Caramel Frappuccino Grande and a cheese Danish, about $8, a cybercriminal can obtain all the information needed to max out a person’s stolen credit card and possibly steal their identity…

..why are these records sold instead of used by the thieves? The answer is simple expediency. Criminals opt to sell credit card and driver’s license information wholesale instead to quickly cash out and to avoid the time and trouble required to use the assets…

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

not if they use cash to make the purchase..
      [your link is broken!]

1 user thanked author for this post.

If someone uses illegally obtained information on a credit card to max it without the owner being aware, then those charges are fraudulent.

Fraudulent charges to one’s credit card account, and generally any charges to it one has not authorized, can be dealt with.
      The following explains what to do in this and other cases, such as: getting an incorrect, broken, etc. item bought with a card; being charged an incorrect amount, etc.

https://wallethub.com/edu/cc/credit-cards-disputed-charges/25560

Quote:

How to Dispute Credit Card Charges.

Fraudulent Charges: Contact your credit card’s issuer and ask them to remove the charges and issue you a new card. Billing Errors: Contact the merchant first and ask them to fix the error, then send a dispute letter to your credit card’s issuer if needed.

To dispute credit card charges is usually known as “to protest” those charges.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

Fraudulent charges to one’s credit card account, and generally any charges to it one has not authorized, can be dealt with.

This is why no one should EVER use a DEBIT CARD! ALWAYS use a credit card. It provides a great deal more protection than a debit card. Pay it IN FULL at the end of each month and you will be fine. Also, you can have a second credit card with the best perks for running a balance due each month and use it for purchases that you cannot pay for in full at the end of the month.

But NEVER, EVER use a debit card. I don’t have debit card and have never had one. Banks that want to send me one I get testy with and my local banks know to always send (and update) cards that ONLY give access to automatic teller machines. These cards allow one to withdraw cash or check balances at the bank’s (or third party) automatic teller machines. You cannot use them at point of purchase businesses in person or remotely via the internet, etc for purchases. Those who insist on debit cards to use for purchases run HUGE risks that credit card users are protected against by law.

This is why no one should EVER use a DEBIT CARD! ALWAYS use a credit card. It provides a great deal more protection than a debit card.

That depends entirely on the institution which issues the debit card.  I have a debit/credit card issued by my credit union that is backed by Visa fraud protection.  It has blocked payment of suspected fraudulent charges on more than one occasion.  In those instances I got a call from my credit union asking me to come in and verify/deny pending charges.

On the other hand, I rarely use it, using my credit card instead for the 2% cash back on any purchase.  I never carry a balance on my credit card, and earn ~$40 to ~$50 dollars monthly which I have elected to be automatically transferred to my savings account.

A nice win-win for purchases I make every month; gasoline, groceries, cell phone bill, auto insurance bill, ISP bill, etc.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do. We don't all have to do the same things.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: How much our privacy is worth ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: