Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How the heck do I sign up for the Lounge?

Home Forums AskWoody Central How the heck do I sign up for the Lounge?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Cascadian 6 months ago.

• Author

anonymous

If you want to get set up with a username and password, here’s how to proceed.

Step 1. In the upper right corner, click the tab marked Register.

Register

Step 2. Choose a username, and provide an email address. Click Register. Both the username and the email address have to be unique – you can’t use another user’s username, and you can’t have the same email address assigned to two different accounts.

Step 3. Look in your email inbox. You’ll get a message from me that starts “Welcome to the AskWoody Lounge!” (You may have to look in your Spam folder – sorry about that!)

Registration confirmation

Step 4. Click on the link, near the bottom, that says Password: Click to set. You end up on the (old fashioned!) WordPress signon page.

Password confirmation

Step 5. Type in your new password (or accept the automatically generated password, which can be a real mouthful). The suggestion says you should use 12 characters, but you can ignore it: Just don’t reuse a password on AskWoody that you use on important sites. Click Reset Password. You get a notice that your password has been reset.

We use the WordPress standard encryption, which includes salting and eight passes of MD5 hashing. That’s very secure, unless the NSA is after you.

Step 6. Click the link to log in.

In the future, you can log in or log out by using the block in the upper right corner.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  woody.
      9 users thanked author for this post.
    • #26872 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Forgive for asking on, understandably, a fraught day but would including, a for example, screen capture, to illustrate a point be out of the question be out of the realm’s of attachment? Before anyone asks no I am not thinking about nor encouraging salacious inappropriate images of any kind, merely to illustrate a point for a user having problems. OBTW this is merely a “Testing 1,2,3,4 post” much as a sound check would work at a concert. Also to check the Emoji’s 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #27849 Reply

MikeFromMarkham
      AskWoody Lounger

Took several minutes for the confirmation email to arrive, but when it did, registration and login were very quick. Looking forward to enjoying lounge. Thank you, Woody!

• #28009 Reply

admin
      Da Boss

Flubbed my initial attempt at signing up, missed a character in my email address. Any way I can cancel that signup and recover my original username?

[Sure. I’ll delete your original username and email address, and this username and email address – and you can start out fresh. -WL]

• #28104 Reply

anonymous

Thanks very much. How can I PM you with the flubbed information?

• #28253 Reply

Kirsty
          AskWoody MVP

@woody‘s email link is in the top right hand corner of all pages on the site 🙂

• #28128 Reply

DadCooks
        AskWoody Lounger

Got it fixed, thanks.

• #28115 Reply

Clairvaux
      AskWoody Lounger

12 characters for the password is overkill ? Mine has 100 characters. Yeah, just because I can, because AskWoody Lounge allows it, and also because the NSA is after me. It’s nice, for once, not to have a site that stupidly limits password length or contents…

• #28119 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

The IDs didn’t transfer – you have to reregister.

• #28245 Reply

Clairvaux
          AskWoody Lounger

Hi, PKCano. I logged out, tried to re-register (with same username and mail, obviously), and the system told me they were already taken. So I logged in, and that was successful. Still anything wrong ? All seems correct from my side.

• #28678 Reply

KWGuy
      AskWoody Lounger

Woody,

Registration process went smooth as silk! I’m sure there will be a learning curve for folks like me, but it will be worth it. Great job!

• #28830 Reply

JDeC
      AskWoody Lounger

Yay! managed to register, just testing if I can do a post 😉

Group B HP Pavilion-dv6 Win7x64 Home Premium-Intel Core i5-3210M CPU

• #166978 Reply

Cascadian
      AskWoody Lounger

Step 2. Choose a username, and provide an email address. Click Register. Both the username and the email address have to be unique – you can’t use another user’s username, and you can’t have the same email address assigned to two different accounts.

Hello, I am wanting to change UserName. Discussing openly so that it does not appear sneaky.

I did the stereotypical middle-aged faux pas using my real first name. Not embarrassed by that, but it has created an awkwardness I did not foresee.

Giving thanks to comments, or posting a comment, on any topic that refers to Paul Thurrott’s admirable writing may appear I am being disingenuous at best. It may even appear that I am purposely attempting to imitate Mr. Thurrott. I would like to avoid this.

I would set up a new account using the new UserName Cascadian. But am not interested in yet another ‘throwaway’ email address. I actually check the address associated with this account from time to time, and look forward to e-mail notification returning at some future time. I am not concerned one way or the other with archived material following the change to the new account. I’m pretty sure others will recognize my ‘voice’ soon enough. And will acknowledge the change in the biography section that I have never bothered to fill in before now.

Please advise, either here or at my registered email. And if anyone knows that the handle Cascadian might also create a conflict, please point that out here. Thanks for your help.

• #166996 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

@paul, go ahead and create your chosen new user account (it will need a different email address), then DM me and I’ll do my best to merge them together (I have had success doing that for another user, a few months ago), deleting Paul in the process. At this stage, there is no conflict showing 🙂

• #167112 Reply

Purg2
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello, I am wanting to change UserName. Discussing openly so that it does not appear sneaky.    /snip

@paul, go ahead and create your chosen new user account (it will need a different email address), then DM me and I’ll do my best to merge them together (I have had success doing that for another user, a few months ago), deleting Paul in the process. At this stage, there is no conflict showing.

If it’s not too late, perhaps try this Paul.
      Click your name at the top to view your profile.
      On the left pane at the bottom there should be a link called “Edit.”  Clicking this takes us to a screen where a member may change their nickname.  And then it might, should be available on the “Display Name” dropdown.  At least it would seem to work that way.  It might be worth a try to avoid creating an additional account/merge etc.

Win 8.1 Group B, Linux Dabbler

• #167128 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

The difference from @purg2‘s suggestion to what I understood @paul to be wanting to achieve, is that changing the display name in a user’s profile still has a resulting link that refers to the old name (you can see this on hover).

• #167191 Reply

Cascadian
      AskWoody Lounger

@Kristy , @purg2 , thanks both.

Kristy you did read me correctly in how I wrote it. But that was also out of my ignorance to the possibility Purg2 described. Your further explanation showed me how see a root account name, and that it might be different from the displayed name. Hovering to verify link addresses before clicking is an established habit. But I had not applied it to the display names. Thank you both for explaining.

I imagine it is a busy time behind the scenes, and do not need to cause an extra task for my benefit. People familiar with Paul Thurrott are not likely to mistake my writing for his. My only concern was for the casual reader having an additional confusion beyond the already complicated topics being discussed.

I understand better now that the global account service provided to AskWoody might have users experience this across other domains as well. The nickname feature would alleviate conflicts in different groups. I will try this method first. It will likely be all that I need. Will circle back if I find more questions to ask.

• #167208 Reply

Cascadian
        AskWoody Lounger

I also now understand better why @-ing (ating, atting, verbing a preposition) someone’s display name does not always work the way I expect. But that doesn’t affect this discussion.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How the heck do I sign up for the Lounge?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.