Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to Cleanly Uninstall Skype version 8.x

Posted on HiFlyer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software How to Cleanly Uninstall Skype version 8.x

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 1 week ago.

• Author

HiFlyer
      AskWoody Lounger

Anyone know a way to Completely clean Skype 8.27 off a laptop?   I keep finding odds and ends in strange places.   Control Panel- Programs & Features- Uninstall did nothing.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #209458 Reply

Microfix
      AskWoody MVP

I’m assuming this is on W8.1

Have you tried re-installing the same version of skype then uninstalling it?

| 2x Group A- W8.1x64 | Group A+ Linux x64 Hybrid | Group B W7x64 Pro | Group W XP Pro
        No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #209460 Reply

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

Try this page:
      How to Uninstall Skype 8 and Get Back Skype 7 Classic

It has listed:

Skype 8 Annoyance/Missing Features

No longer can set Away status
      Third-party call recorders will not work
      Can no longer increase text size
      Can not jump back in chat history.
      Lossing Skype Credits [very few users reported]
      Missing customisations and hard to navigate user interface

Without a doubt, users want to go back to the old version of Skype 7 Classic, and it is still possible to do as of today.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #209896 Reply

HiFlyer
      AskWoody Lounger

@microfix #209458  Yes win8.1.   No I just kept deleting all the files I could find related to Skype 8.x after I used control panel to uninstall it.  It disappeared from the list.

@kirsty #209460   I looked at the three download options your link provided and chose https://go.skype.com/classic.skype.

I then downloaded & installed Classic Skype 7.x there.  No problems; all my settings had been retained and the test call was o.k.

There was a huge ad on the Skype homepage about updating to 8 now which I ignored and it vanished (I hope).    This download has no way to stop autoupdates!  I may go back to the other two downloads your link provided to see if those do.

Thanks for all the help.

• #210189 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

One of the reasons I prefer off-line installers is that you have the ability to reinstall later to a known working version, that auto-update does not provide, or in case of hardware failure. I don’t believe you can rely on compatible software being available in times of crisis (or when an update isn’t usable).

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to Cleanly Uninstall Skype version 8.x

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.