News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to get Chrome or Edge to show full page in Facebook

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software How to get Chrome or Edge to show full page in Facebook

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

woody 3 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I just got this question from @donjean:

I don’t know if someone in  the Lounge will respond to the long-standing issue I’ve had with Facebook, but here’s what that’s all about:  For many, many months, I haven’t been able to get FB photos/videos on my HP Windows 10 laptop, as I was able to get for several years. However, I CAN get & open photos & videos on my Jitterbug Smart  android!  I’ve sent many copies of this problem to Facebook, but only get a “…thanks for your post, which will be helpful to OTHER FB users”  (not verbatim, but no attempt to tell me how to fix the problem).  IT’s, friends, and 3rd party attempts have suggested that I delete FB and reinstall, but I don’t know if that’s worth the hassle!  All I get on my pc’s FB screen is a very narrow column at the left of the page. When I try to send off another edition of my issue to FB, I just keep getting the response I’ve noted above., so I’m dead in the water! Hope someone in the lounge can help;  I’ve done many searches, but still no “fix” has been recommended!  I use Google or Cortana/Microsoft browsers to go to Facebook.  I always get the same response:  no full page, nor photos and videos.  Hope you can help, since I always get nowhere with FB “support”!!

— Don

• #330746 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

@donjean – I hope you’re watching.

You say that you get the same weird columns in both the Edge and Google Chrome browsers?

When I open my Facebook page in Google Chrome, this is what I get.

If you use Chrome to go to Facebook.com, how does your image differ from mine?

Attachments:
    • #330879 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Here’s what I see in Edge as a not-logged-in visitor:

FB

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #331203 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Ball’s back in your court, @donjean

• #331627 Reply

Moonshine
      Subscriber

It would have been beneficial to see a screen shot of the affected page(s) to see what is happening exactly.
      I have seen web pages squashed up against the left side of a browser a few times over the years and the cause was an Extension/Addon stripping out or changing the Page Style (Cascading Style Sheets – CSS) that the webpage author had within the page(s).

I can simulate a similar effect in Firefox by opting for No Style:

If this looks familiar, I would suggest use another browser, say an out of the box Firefox with no 3rd party Extensions/Addons installed for the comparison.
      Some browsers have a Safe Mode which can be used for a comparison. This disables all Extensions/Addons and is a starting point for diagnostic reasons, but Edge & Google Chrome unfortunately don’t have that option.
      However, Google Chrome can be opened in Incognito mode which does disable all Extensions/Addons as part of its process, so this might offer the comparison that is being sort on the effected pages(s).

With Edge, surprisingly, it’s not so easy.
      It can be Reset, but rather than go down that route, I’d disable any Addons manually, close Edge, then reopen for a comparison on the effected page(s) as before.

Should all appear OK on the Facebook page after disabling Extensions/Addons, it suggests an Extension/Addon that may be is causing the problem.
      Opening the browsers back in normal mode and reinstating an Extension/Addon one at time may point to a problematic one.
      Worth a try.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to get Chrome or Edge to show full page in Facebook

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.