• How to get File Manager back to previous norms

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Windows 11 version 22H2 » How to get File Manager back to previous norms

Author
    Topic

File Manager, as long as I can remember (before computers!) showed what is now my user menu: Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Documents, et al. in the left pane with a tree structure, so I could open Documents in the left pane, see the dropdown of my folders there below and, if I clicked on a folder, the files in that folder would open in the right window. I didn’t have to search for it every time, it came up that way automatically.

I want that back.

I’m not interested in searching in My PC/users/myname/ just to get to the same place I’m used to starting. I’m not interested in clicking on Documents in Quick Start and getting the folders on the right–how do I copy files from one folder to another this way without endless unnecessary searching? I’m glad the programmers got paid to revise something that worked fine–but now I want to unfix it. How can I do this? Am I missing something obvious? Aauggh!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Perhaps you need to change the default folder to open in Folder Options:

Change Folder to Open File Explorer to by Default in Windows 11

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.1192 + Microsoft 365/Edge

Okay, let me clarify:

In Win 10, I open File Manager and the left frame holds Quick Access and then, below it, This PC:
      And This PC was open to my personal folders: (for example) Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. If I clicked on the carat to the left of Documents, I got all my subfolders and if I clicked on a subfolder, the files in it would show up in the right frame.
      Now, to get to that location, I have to navigate to Windows/Users/myname/ just to get my personal folders. And I have to redo that every time I open File Manager.
      I don’t understand how this benefits anyone but I just want it to work the way it used to, as described above. How can I make that happen?

In W10 I just right-click on the folder I want to see and select “Pin to Quick Access”. Do you not have this option?

Windows 10 Home 22H2, Acer Aspire TC-1660 desktop + LibreOffice, non-techie

But then I still don’t get the tree structure. The folder just sits there and the subfolders show up on the right. I want them on the left and the files on the right to make it easier to copy files around.

See How to restore the classic File Explorer in Windows 11 | TechRepublic, There is no guarantee that this will continue to work after any Windows update.

--Joe

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: How to get File Manager back to previous norms

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: