News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• How to kill Teams in W11

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » How to kill Teams in W11

Author
    Topic

Since the 11 update, I get frequent popups from Microsoft Teams. I have tried all of the suggestions online, including uninstalling both Teams and its associated loader, taking Teams out of Startup, and revoking all of its permissions to notify. I still get random popups as I move my mouse around. Anyone know how to fully, finally kill Teams without removing the rest of the Office suite?

Viewing 15 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Why, after every new version of windows, do people seek ways to remove portions of the upgrade?

It should be possible to simply uninstall Teams from control panels.
      Also, if that is not aplicable, you could disable Teams opening on Windows startup.

In the application, click three dots on the top right section of the window.
      Go into settings. In the general section, untick the “Auto-start application”. (sorry for wrong picture, I should have highlighted the line above)

stp

The other option how not to launch Teams automatically is via settings here:

disable

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Why, after every new version of windows, do people seek ways to remove portions of the upgrade?

Probably because they do not want those new features, or find them irritating?

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

1 user thanked author for this post.

It’s not some freaky reinstall situation brought about by the upgrade process is it – effectively a Windows 10 item not cleaned up? (that is to say is the program back in the apps list?)

Windows 10 had it as a new user account install item, the way to avoid it was to remove the entry as per https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/undeletable-folder/#post-2386166, and due to a typo, https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/undeletable-folder/#post-2386168

Sorry I was even more beta at the forum thing back then.. not much better now.

The other thing with Teams was (I dont use Office.. so this data is a couple years old now and my memory isn’t brilliant) you had to remove “Microsoft Teams” (for your account) and something like “machine wide installer for Microsoft Teams” from the bottom end of the uninstall list to get it off a machine completely after installing Office 365.

I guess as an untested alternative looking at the site below you could enumerate the installed packages (Get-AppxPackage  (to get the list) and then edit, find and put in something sensible..) and maybe if its listed as a separate package, remove it via powershell? (obviously the command on this site will remove the entirety of office!)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8#OfficeVersion=Microsoft_Store

Thanks, these are all things I’ve tried. I wouldn’t mind just leaving Teams installed except that a frequent, random popup appears wanting to ‘get me set up’. Have revoked Teams permission to notify, to no avail.

The reason somebody wants to uninstall something from an upgrade is just as you said. I don’t need it, I don’t want it, and- worst- it interrupts the work I need to do. That ain’t an upgrade in my book.

Reading te comments here, I’ve got no idea of how big or frequent are those pop-ups, or how intrusive.

But it looks to me like they may be just a Windows problem.

I have Teams installed in two Macs and no pop-ups have ever showed up, so have had no such bother at all.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome; also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

I guess the other way to sort it out would be to try to configure the product though you have to have it installed and running (using up those precious CPU cycles) to do that..

https://www.howtogeek.com/701970/how-to-configure-microsoft-teams-notifications/

I actually tried that- set it up, revoked auto start, revoked notification permissions. Still getting random popups now haranguing me to syncronize my phone contacts- not something I wish to do. CPU cycles not an issue on this fairly new laptop.

Just had the popup occur at a time when I could snip it- attached. Definitely large enough in the middle of the screen to cover up much of whatever I’m trying to read.

Interesting. I suppose you already tried to adjust Teams notifications in the settings section?
        Unfortunatelly, I never seen your pop-ups, but there are several options in the

“Three dots” > Notifications > Other:
        Someone you know has joined the Teams.

Try disabling this one. There are few more settings that could do the job like:
        “Three dots” > Notifications
        Try “Notification style” Teams, not Windows. Your popup looks like Windows notification.

PS – I really understand your feelings. Todays applications can be very irritating, flooding users with unwanted junk. Teams is good for communicating, but some functions are not very good.

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

Interesting- my Teams setup seems to have a different three dot Settings section. There is no ‘other’ section, just a link to Windows notification settings. Oddly Teams does not appear in the list of programs for which Settings can be managed at that link, nor does it appear in the Settings-Apps list. So confusing.

This issue has taken up WAY too much of my time, so at this point I will say thank you to all who tried to help and give up.

Do you know which version of Teams this is? The full-blown version with Office or the stripped-down version inbox with Windows 11?

It appears to be the stripped-down version but best to double-check.

You can uninstall the inbox version from Settings | Apps without doing anything with Office. Since both are called Microsoft Teams you can distinguish between them fairly easily. On the app icon, the “T” is blue on a white background for the inbox version. On the Office version, the “T” is white on a blue background.

Teams-in-Apps

--Joe

This version of Teams is from the Office 365 full suite, which I have used without this issue until the W11 switch. Alex, I do not see a link or program attached to your message, and I’d be reluctant to run an unvetted program anyway.

Ah, I see- ThisIsWin11 is the name of the app. I searched for it, but it seems to be a ‘tour of W11 features’. How would that help shut up Teams?

Thanks for that clarification. I partially mitigated the problem when I shifted the Taskbar to the left rather than the default centered. The popup now occurs on the left rather than right in the middle of the screen. Still annoying but less disruptive.

ThisIsWin11 is a very cool program and seems to have solved the problem. Confusing app title, but very much like PowerToys in previous winvers. Thanks so much for the heads-up.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 15 reply threads
    Reply To: How to kill Teams in W11

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.