News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to maximally disassociate from new Edge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Internet Explorer and Edge How to maximally disassociate from new Edge

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Cthru
        AskWoody Plus

I never use Edge, but just had the forced new Edge installed with updates and, since it would not allow me to close it without clicking on “Get Started,” I rebooted and then was able to close it after restart. I use FF but do have a gmail account;  another family member uses Chrome and has gmail. Both of us would like to have nothing to do with Edge. My concern is that if I open it to set whatever feature disabling I’m allowed, it will virtually grab me to start sending info to Google. I would be grateful for any guidance.

I’m still running W1909,  home.

Thank you.

• #2287245 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Microsoft has removed all Google services from Edge. Edge will be the default browser supplied with Windows. You can just ignore it. That is the easiest thing to do.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2287322 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

If you use Chrome extensions with New Edge, Google will have your IP and track you.

• #2287354 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Any site you go to that has Google Analytics (that’s a lot of sites) will track you regardless of browser. There is no avoiding tracking, you can only limit it.
            One way to limit it is to use Chredge / Firefox etc.

cheers, Paul

• #2287323 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Follow this thread on how to remove ChrEdge

How to uninstalled WU installed ChrEdge

You will either be left with the old Edge or IE11.

• #2287350 Reply
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

I decided when I moved to Win 10 that I have to keep Edge as a secondary browser.  I’ve been using Firefox for years but every now and then ran into a site that didn’t fully work with Firefox.  Sometimes, after a screen or two ‘deep’ at some sites, the ‘next’ button would go missing, or mandatory fields could not be filled in, etc.  Fortunately, things have improved and there’s fewer compatibility issues.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to maximally disassociate from new Edge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.