Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to put a picture ("Avatar") on your replies

Home Forums AskWoody Central How to put a picture ("Avatar") on your replies

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Elly 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

The AskWoody Lounge recognizes avatars published on the Globally Recognized Avatar (Gravatar) web site.

Here’s a video to demonstrate what’s happening:

http://videos.videopress.com/HNyK67JS/sequence-01_hd.mp4

Gravatar is owned by WordPress.com, which is the company that makes the software used for the Lounge.

To create an avatar, go to the web site, click on Create Your Own Gravatar, and follow the instructions to associate your email address with a picture. All it takes is a picture and a few minutes.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  woody.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  woody.
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #27738 Reply

PhotM
      AskWoody Lounger

OR, if you have an Avatar on your Gmail Account and you use it to sign up, Woody’s site picks it up Automagically.

That is how mine appeared 😀

Best Regards,

Crysta

--------------------------------------

1. Tower Totals: 2xSSD ~512GB, 2xHHD 20 TB, Memory 32GB

SSDs: 6xOS Partitions, 2xW8.1 Main & Test, 2x10.0 Test, Pro, x64

CPU i7 2600 K, SandyBridge/CougarPoint, 4 cores, 8 Threads, 3.4 GHz
      Graphics Radeon RX 580, Neither Over Clocked

2xMonitors Asus DVI, Sony 55" UHD TV HDMI

1. NUC 5i7 2cores, 4 Thread, Memory 8GB, 3.1 GHz, M2SSD 140GB
      1xOS W8.1 Pro, NAS Dependent, Same Sony above.

-----------------

Best Regards,

Crysta

• #27868 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody Lounger

Testing testing . . .

Hmmm. I might need to make some changes to my G+ . . .

• #27931 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Hello Woody!
      The video on this didn’t link in a usable way (not even a cut and paste)… Not a real link or video at this time?

“Here’s a video to demonstrate what’s happening:

[wpvideo HNyK67JS]”

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Elly.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #27937 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

ARGH. I’ll fix it. Thanks!

• #28000 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

Got fixed fast!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #28967 Reply

Bill C.
      AskWoody Lounger

Well success! on the log in.

Is the Gravatar the ONLY avatar format accepted, or can we use the 80×80 pixel jpg image used by other forum software?

Not a big issue, but I much prefer to keep my avatars unique to an individual site, and separate from anything allowing links to any social media sites.

So far the Lounge looks very promising. Far easier to search for a topic even with just viewing a list. I have not tried using a search engine.

• #28992 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

Is the Gravatar the ONLY avatar format accepted

Yes, as far as I am aware. It is part of WordPress, so comes as part of the package.

• #90680 Reply

Canadian Tech
      AskWoody MVP

I would like an avatar, but would not like to have it linked to my email address. Is that possible?

CT

• #90693 Reply

Nope. Best suggestion I have is to set up a bogus one-time free email address, and use that to link to your avatar on Gravatar.

• #90694 Reply

AlanH
        AskWoody Lounger

I suspect that an “unlinked” avatar is not possible– one’s email address seems to be the indexing token that Gravatar uses for lookup.

The inelegant workaround I used was to generate an email address just for askwoody.com, and then set up a gravatar for that.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  AlanH.
    • #90742 Reply

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

On the subject of Gravatar security concerns:
      https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/12/gravatar-advisory-protect-email-address-identity/

(From WordFence, the security arm of WordPress & Gravatar)

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #90750 Reply

Canadian Tech
        AskWoody MVP

Thanks to all. I think I am going to have to forgo an avatar. I work very hard at maintaining my anonymity.

CT

• #90755 Reply

Kirsty
          AskWoody MVP

Might I suggest a signature in your profile then?

• #91206 Reply

lizzytish
            AskWoody Lounger

How would you do that Kirsty? Sounds interesting! LT

Further to this: I got your reply Kirsty by email but I don’t see it here….
            strange!! Thank you for it………. I’ve been in and can see where to insert/apply
            a signature. Will have to think this through as to what I would like……… as my
            signature is v. minimal!!! But as I said thanks for getting back so quickly! LT

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  lizzytish.
            • #91241 Reply

Kirsty
              AskWoody MVP

It’s really quite easy to add a signature.

1. You need to be logged in first
              2. Go to your profile, by clicking on your user name (upper right corner, or on any of your posts)
              3. Click Edit, at the bottom of the menu on the left
              4. Scroll down to Your Forum Signature, and enter the text in there. It accepts basic BBCodes – the Text Formatting codes on this phpbb.com link seem to work.
              5. Click Update at the bottom of the page, and you’re done. Every post you have already created in the new Lounge will now sport your choice of signature.

This can also be achieved in the dashboard, as mentioned on How to Remotely Log Out from Askwoody.com.

I see some people have been adding their computer’s configuration to their signatures.

It took me a couple of tries to get the formatting to work, due to my being new to BBCodes, but trial and error won out.

PS if the instructions aren’t clear, I’d hope you’d post back any problems you encountered, thanks.

• #91282 Reply

lizzytish
              AskWoody Lounger

Well duh…….. to me….. reason I couldn’t see it was that I had been sitting on the page
              for a little while and should have refreshed it!!!
              Et voila I see it now! Thanks Kirsty!
              Also have spotted your signature and see how it stands out quite well…….. lots of possiblities
              there! LT

• #91283 Reply

Kirsty
              AskWoody MVP

Thanks LT. I’ve now added that to Tips for Using the Lounge.
              i look forward to seeing what you create – have fun!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Kirsty. Reason: Added hyperlink
        • #91446 Reply

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

I like my arabic arch avatar.

| W8.1 x64 | Linux x64 Hybrid | W7 Pro x64 | XP Pro/ Home Offline
            No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
    • #90799 Reply

rc primak
      AskWoody MVP

I did find that not only does Gravatar need an email address, but it also needs to have ad-blocking and flash-blocking extensions disabled. I use Linux and my email address (the one I use in forums) is all over the Internet, including online shopping sites. So I don’t worry, and just let fly with an old photo I’ve used on my PC for a login to an account for awhile now. it’s always nice to be able not to be too anonymous!

-- rc primak

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  rc primak.
    • #91512 Reply

lizzytish
      AskWoody Lounger

Well been having a bit of fun making a signature for myself………. but for the life of me haven’t been able to get it to work…….. I have uploaded it to my website and can stream from there on my html editor……… so that part is working……… but cannot seem to manage to get in into Word Press except as an attachment as per here…. I’ve been hunting up and trying ways….. and it’s not working. Wondering if we’re able to do this per the signature area in the user dashboard, and
      if so does anyone know what the code is…… I’ve tried the wordpress code for images and url links and there’s obviously something I’m missing…. if we’re able to do this of course!! LT

lizztish_butterflylogo3-1

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      • #91603 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

We only have access to simple BBCodes, and I suspect you may be asking more than it can deliver.

I always enjoy your grahics 🙂

• #91791 Reply

lizzytish
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Kirsty, thought that might be the case ………. it’s not a big deal…. but was fun having a go!!! And thanks too for your thumbs up about the graphics!!! I actually have a Google Group that I send my ‘mists’ to (they are shares for those who use PSP/PS and who can then do their own creations with them)……….. and must say do enjoy that part of life a lot!!! My bolt hole from reality! But the ones I share here are usually ones I’ve received/snagged etc…..but hopefully always have a slant on things!!! LT

If you want your children to be brilliant, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be geniuses, read them more fairy tales.
          – Albert Einstein

• #171593 Reply

Schnarph
      AskWoody Lounger

OR, if you have an Avatar on your Gmail Account and you use it to sign up, Woody’s site picks it up Automagically. That is how mine appeared ? Best Regards, Crysta

I have an avatar on my Google(+)/Gmail account and I used it to sign up, where’s the Automagic? What Google account settings are required? I’m not hiding anything but my real name, address, DOB, etc… AFAIK!

Someone already used “Schnarph” on Gravatar/Wordpress, so that won’t work. I go to the trouble of making an 8 letter name with one vowel over 15 years ago with no results on Google search, yet these days I can barely use it for a new account anywhere…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to put a picture ("Avatar") on your replies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.