News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to put an avatar (picture) next to your posts

Home Forums AskWoody blog How to put an avatar (picture) next to your posts

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Lots of you have asked how I stuck a “Mr. Dummy” picture next to my posts in the comments. It’s easy – and only takes a second.Go to Gravatar, sign in[See the full post at: How to put an avatar (picture) next to your posts]

• #49230 Reply
        Doc
        AskWoody Lounger

HA! I didn’t even know you had an avatar… the Ghostery extension in Chrome blocks Gravatar.

• #49231 Reply
        rc primak

Unless I completely misread the instructions in the linked site, Gravatar requires signing up for a WordPress Account.

Doing this can expose personal information to any site which uses the Gravatar image, and may require disabling ad blocking extensions just to set up the Gravatar image. (I didn’t actually follow through and create a Gravatar image.)

Folks should be aware of the privacy and possible security implications of allowing a global tracker (which Gravatar is to WordPress) to follow us everywhere where we intend to use that Avatar.

I’d rather play it safe and use whatever local features are available on a per-site basis. If a site allows Profiles or personal identifiers such as Avatars, I consider the value of using these features on each site, rather than setting up a single, global Avatar and Profile which may follow me all over the Internet and collect information about me and my surfing habits.

A full disclosure of the link between Gravatar and setting up a WordPress Account could have been included in this post, Woody.

• #49232 Reply
        MikeFromMarkham
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the tip!

• #49233 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@RC –

You’re right. I’ll clarify the post.

• #49234 Reply
        Allan

I prefer being a faceless blogger.

• #49235 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Allan

And so you shall stay. If you want to be completely anonymous, you don’t even have to enter a name and/or email address when you post.

• #49236 Reply
        MrGrumpy
        AskWoody Lounger

If you have a Gravatar account, this is easy.

• #49237 Reply
        Anonymous

Oh yeah!

• #49238 Reply
        b

Really?

• #49239 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

Yep.

I vet every post. That means we don’t get any crap in here, but it also means there’s a delay – sometimes a long delay – in posts appearing.

• #49240 Reply
        Allan

@Woody

I think it is courteous to give a name and e-mail address to the host. I thought it was required here, but apparently not. Most forums do require them.

• #49241 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

@Allan

I appreciate it when people leave their names (so I can reply to someone other than “@Anonymous”) and their email addresses (so I can mail them in the very rare instance when I need to contact someone directly). But I figure if folks are skittish, there’s no reason to hold them to it.

• #49242 Reply
        rc primak

@Woody

I guess what it comes down to is a trade-off between privacy and convenience. I am not opposed to folks knowingly using single sign-ons, IDs or Avatars which track across many sites or single profiles which span different sites.

As long as we know how and where we are being tracked, we can choose our level of comfort with convenience features.

Thanks for the clarification in the post.

• #49243 Reply
        Katie

I don’t mind mine, then again I’m on a bunch of sites…

• #49244 Reply
        Tim

I’ve been using that site for years.

Viewing 15 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to put an avatar (picture) next to your posts

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.