News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to Read CBS Log File

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 How to Read CBS Log File

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  geekdom 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

KP
      AskWoody Plus

Windows 7 Ultimate is probably corrupted because I cannot upgrade to Windows 10. Can anybody point me to a good reference web site that they use for reading CBS Log and fixing? I may be reformatting because I found its XP Pro drivers (it was an XP Pro upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.)

Here are google search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+Read+CBS+Log+File&gbv=1&sei=XB8uXrq5IM2KggeFpZW4Bg

I am cross-referencing to another post: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/windows-update-service-disabled/#post-2110058

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  KP.
    • #2110423 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

See if SetupDiag helps.

--Joe

• #2110507 Reply

abbodi86
      AskWoody_MVP

It’s best to open it in text editor that can handle the big size (like AkelPad)

then, search for , error
      (comma space error), and then see the details and if required, move up few lines and read the info lines

however, i think upgrade files are saved in C:\Windows\Panther\C:\Windows\Panther\setupact.log

• #2110791 Reply

KP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for everyone’s ideas.

I cannot find the web link for the following, (I am paraphrasing):

look through the CBS Log for a reference to a KB number and re-install that patch.

I read the following a few times, use the findstr command to create a subset of the CBS Log and output it in sfclogs.txt :

findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfclogs.txt”

• #2110795 Reply

geekdom
          AskWoody Plus

CheckSUR (Windows 7) and DISM (Windows 10) instructions are here:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

Read everything. Follow instructions exactly. Be patient. Be very patient. CheckSUR is a s-l-l-o-o-w process.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
          offline▸Win7Pro • SP1 • x64 • InUse
          online▸Win10Pro • 1909.18363.657 • x64 • i5-9400 • RAM8GB • HDD • CanonMG3620 • Firefox74.0b7 • Windows{Defender/SystemImage/RescueDisk/Firewall}
          • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  geekdom.
          1 user thanked author for this post.
          KP
          • #2110820 Reply

KP
            AskWoody Plus

I think that was the article.

System Update Readiness Tool is probably what got the updating to work in 2019 again after a two year problem.

It is saying to look in the CheckSUR.log within the CBS folder.

• #2110841 Reply

geekdom
              AskWoody Plus

I am parking the topic link with your last comment here:

Error code 80073712

FWIW although Windows 7 is EoL.

addendum: System Update Readiness Tool (Oct 2014) KB947821

correction: KB4494419 2019-03 s/b KB4474419 2019-03

KB4494419 2019-08 s/b KB4474419 2019-08

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  KP.

Windows 7 is out of support, but not dead, and all updates remain in the catalog.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
              offline▸Win7Pro • SP1 • x64 • InUse
              online▸Win10Pro • 1909.18363.657 • x64 • i5-9400 • RAM8GB • HDD • CanonMG3620 • Firefox74.0b7 • Windows{Defender/SystemImage/RescueDisk/Firewall}
              1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2110544 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to Read CBS Log File

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.