News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to restore Google and Gmail settings from win7 to win10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 How to restore Google and Gmail settings from win7 to win10

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        suvi
        AskWoody Plus

I upgraded  from Win 7 to Win 10 just before win 7 support ceased and all was well. This morning that PC froze so I unplugged for awhile. After restarting and signing in, I saw immediately that Google was barren and there were no Gmail accounts. How do I restore my Win 7 settings to those entities?

I am writing this on a Win 10 Home laptop if there is some way to transfer those settings from this to the PC.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Suvi

• #2141158 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Suvi,

AFAICT, this is going to be a manual process of re-establishing the accounts in your Mail reader. I keep a list of my Outlook settings just for this occasion. I’m currently in the process of setting up a new laptop for my wife and although transfering her .pst file is a breeze I’ll still have to re-establish here gmail accounts and direct them to deliver mail to her .pst file inboxes.

If anyone knows a better way I’m all ears?

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

• #2141159 Reply
        jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

After restarting and signing in, I saw immediately that Google was barren and there were no Gmail accounts.

What do you mean by this statement?

Are you referring to Chrome not being signed-in and you having no obvious access to Gmail?

Or, are you using mail software to access Gmail – Outlook? Thunderbird? Windows Mail?

We need to know how you’ve been getting your mail in order to help.

• #2141170 Reply
        suvi
        AskWoody Plus

Google is my home page and I use Chrome.

When you said sign in, I went to the PC and signed into Google and everything returned. I have only needed to sign in when I initially set up the PC and never thought about it. Old minds need to be stirred up a bit occasionally!

It will remain a mystery why I needed to sign in after that PC froze.

Thank you……

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to restore Google and Gmail settings from win7 to win10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.