News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to uninstalled WU installed ChrEdge

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Internet Explorer and Edge How to uninstalled WU installed ChrEdge

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.ghacks.net/ : How to remove the new Microsoft Edge if uninstallation is blocked

..If Microsoft Edge is installed via Windows Updates, then it is not possible to uninstall the browser using the Apps interface of the Settings application or the dedicated Software Control Panel application…

Open File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application.

Open the version folder, e.g. 83.0.478.58 and then the installer folder, so that you end up at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\83.0.478.58\Installer.

Select File > Open Windows PowerShell > Open Windows PowerShell as administrator.
        Type cmd.

Run the following command: setup.exe –uninstall –system-level –verbose-logging –force-uninstall

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Alex5723.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2278300 Reply
        anonymous

I am on Win 10m 1909 Home and I followed this procedure to uninstall Chromium Edge that I got via Windows Update. It did uninstall Chromium and now I have the old Edge back. Everything is back to as it was before the update. Now I can install Chromium IF and WHEN I decide.

If I do download it, I will still have access to the old Edge as well?

• #2278317 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

If I do download it, I will still have access to the old Edge as well?

If you download and install manually, ChrEdge will override Edge (which is a good thing).
        ChrEdge has more options, is more secure (Chromium), support more websites, formats… support Chrome extensions…

• #2278316 Reply
        anonymous

Follow-up to my original post: I did install Chromium via download and rebooted after installing and then went to check if I could indeed uninstall it if I ever chose to do so and I cannot. The uninstall option is grayed out in the apps menu. Wondering if I did something wrong. And after the install I checked to see if I could find the old Edge, and I cannot.

• #2278364 Reply
          Elly
          AskWoody MVP

I never installed chromium Edge via WU.

With it manually installed, I was able to uninstall it. When it uninstalled, I had the old Edge (which cannot be uninstalled) visible. I did a second manual install. My ‘Apps and features’ list show ‘Microsoft Edge’, and ‘Microsoft Edge Update’, and looks like this:

Chromium-Edge-070720203

The ‘Microsoft Edge’ build is 83.0.478.58, and it shows that it can be uninstalled:

Chromium-Edge-070720201

The ‘Microsoft Edge Update’ shows build 1.3.129.35, and the greyed out buttons, so it cannot be uninstalled. Since Chromium Edge is supposed to result in a hidden legacy Edge, I’m not sure why I’m seeing this:

Chromium-Edge-070720202

I neglected to take a screen shot without the chromium Edge install.

Microsoft does not recommend running both versions, but has left a way to access Edge Legacy after installing the new version of Microsoft Edge. It requires going through Group Policy. See their article, “Access Microsoft Edge Legacy after installing the new version of Microsoft Edge”.

They recommend configuring the group policy before installing chromium Edge, if you intend to run them both side by side.

They say that side by side use should be limited to specific cases where testing with both browser versions is required, such as for Help Desk and Support staff, or developers.

At this point, I’m just running the new chromium Edge, as my testing and comparison skills are limited when it comes to browsers. Pale Moon remains my primary, trustworthy, default browser.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

Attachments:
          • #2278458 Reply
            Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

Ditto.

Manually installed ChrEdge can be uninstalled.
            Old Edge is still installed but can’t be uninstalled.

chredge

Attachments:
          • #2278554 Reply
            anonymous

The ‘Microsoft Edge Update’ shows build 1.3.129.35, and the greyed out buttons, so it cannot be uninstalled. Since Chromium Edge is supposed to result in a hidden legacy Edge, I’m not sure why I’m seeing this:

That’s the updater for Chromium Edge, not legacy.

• #2278604 Reply
        anonymous

I got the Chromium Edge update via Windows update. As I mentioned, I used the powershell procedure to uninstall it and I got the old Edge back, everything like it was before the update. Then I did the manual download and install of Chromium. However. after the manual install, there still is no option for me to uninstall it.

So I can’t uninstall manually installed Chredge. Not that it is big deal, as Chromium is supposedly better than legacy. But why does MS have to make everything so convoluted and complicated?

• #2278614 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Perhaps the fact that WU version of Chredge was installed and surgically removed, does not imply that remnants left in the registry/system could potentially block the uninstallation of the non-WU chredge once installed at a later date.
          Remember the WU Chredge is potentially baked into the OS once installed.
          I was hesitant to believe that the initial powershell script actually removed everything pertaining to the WU installation of Chredge.

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to uninstalled WU installed ChrEdge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.