News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Professional

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Professional

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        ECWS

Need to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional 64 from Windows 7 Pro 64 in order to run Turbo Tax 2020.  What is the best way to do it?  Should I use the Media Creation tool or download an ISO to a USB?  How much space will I need on the USB?  Is it still available?  What version should I download?  Computer has a 256 SSD, 16GB Ram, Intel Core 7, Purchased 2018, Dell E6540

Thanks.

• #2266994 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Downloading the ISO is the easiest IMO. You can use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, but you will probably get Windows 10 2004 version and we don’t recommend that yet – it’s very new.
        Use the Heidoc tool and you should be able to get the 1909 version.

Once the ISO file is saved on your PC, make an image backup, then double click on the ISO.
        Windows will mount the ISO as a disk drive and you can then run setup.exe from the new drive to perform the upgrade.

cheers, Paul

p.s. Why can’t you run TT under W7?

• #2267060 Reply
          ECWS
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks.

For tax year 2020 to be filed in 2021, TurboTax will not support Windows 7.

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/

Will the Windows 10 still activate ok if I am upgrading from Windows 7?  I have a Windows 7 product key but not Windows 10.

• #2267074 Reply
            Elly
            AskWoody MVP

It should activate just fine.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2267116 Reply
            PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

There was a similar topic that started in January.

Will TurboTax 2019 work on Windows 7 machines?

The Intuit EOL reference only addresses TT 2019 and QB 2020; an implication is that TT 2020 won’t install, but I don’t see that explicitly. ‘Support’ not= ‘won’t work’.

Have you tried to install 2020 on Win 7, and it is blocked?

• #2267196 Reply
        ECWS
        AskWoody Plus

Should I download the DELL OEM Windows 10 Version 1909 or just a regular Windows 10 1909?

• #2267204 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

If you weren’t interested in the Dell bloatware, I’d suggest avoiding the Dell OEM file.

• #2267205 Reply
        ECWS
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks.

I am downloading the November 2019 ISO to a 8 GB USB from heidoc.  Is that better than the Media Creation tool?

If so, what do I do next with the USB.

(You can tell I have never done this before).

• #2267221 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

See the first reply to your question above.

cheers, Paul

• #2267247 Reply
          MrJimPhelps
          AskWoody_MVP

Windows 7 isn’t going to allow you to mount the ISO file directly; you’ll need to make a Windows 10 install disk with a flash drive.

You can download and install a copy of Rufus, and then use Rufus to create the W10 install flash drive.

Here are instructions for how to use Rufus to create a Windows install flash drive:
          https://www.askvg.com/rufus-yet-another-free-portable-tool-to-create-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-windows-and-linux/

Here is where you can download Rufus from:
          rufus.ie

Once you have created the flash drive, leave it in the computer and run the setup file on it. This will begin the Windows 10 install.

Early in the W10 install process, it will ask you if you want to check for updates; tell it no; (you can check for them later).

It will then likely ask you to choose one of three options:
          * Keep your personal files and apps.
          * Keep your personal files.
          * Keep nothing.
          I don’t think you can keep your apps when moving from 7 to 10, but I could be wrong about that.

Make the choice of what you want to keep, and click OK.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
          with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #2267211 Reply
        ECWS
        AskWoody Plus

Another question: Should I have tried to download the May 2019 version of Windows 10 in order to get version 1903 instead of 1909 which was from November 2019 (I think).  Think PKCano said we should try and get the May 2019 1903 version.

• #2267234 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

No, I did not say 1903.
          Woody recommends 1909 and so do I.

• #2267216 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Another question: Should I have tried to download the May 2019 version of Windows 10 in order to get version 1903 instead of 1909 which was from November 2019 (I think).  Think PKCano said we should try and get the May 2019 1903 version.

Woody has recommended to Update to 1909.

• #2267290 Reply
        ECWS
        AskWoody Plus

This is all very helpful.

I downloaded two different copies of the ISO from heidoc to a 8GB USB drive.  Based on the recommendations, I will delete the older version and keep 1909.

Based on Jim’s recommendation on the requirement to add Rufus, do I:

1. Cut/Paste the Windows 10 1909 ISO to my hard drive to remove it from the USB drive
        2. Reformat USB Drive (FAT32)
        3. Add Rufus to the USB
        4. Cut/Paste 1909 from the hard drive back to the USB
        5. Need a USB larger than 8 GB be?
        6. Have enough space on hard drive?  How much space will I need for Windows 10?

Thanks.

• #2267291 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Need a USB larger than 8 GB be?
        Have enough space on hard drive?  How much space will I need for Windows 10?

Ventoy is better then Rufus as you can add as many ISO files (different versions, Linux..) as you want and select the ISO you want to install.
        8GB is ok.
        You’ll need at least 20-30GB of free space for the Windows 7 restore file : Windows.old (you have 10 days to restore to Windows 7).

• #2267427 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Add Rufus to the USB

Do not add anything to the USB.

Run Rufus/Ventoy from your hard disk, select the USB as the target and choose the ISO as the source. R/V will now format the USB, make it bootable and extract the ISO onto it.

8GB is plenty.

W10 will fit on a 60GB HDD/SSD, but that won’t leave room for doing anything else. 120GB is the minimum IMO.

cheers, Paul

• #2267585 Reply
        ECWS

Thanks.

When I use the ISO from the USB Drive to install Windows 10, will it create a file that will allow me to roll back to Windows 7 similar to the Media Creation tool?

Noticed that the ISO is only good for 24 hours from heidoc?

Should I do an image of the Windows 7 computer first?  If so, can I use the Windows imaging software to that?  Also – how much space will I need on a USB for the image?

• #2268233 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

When I use the ISO from the USB Drive to install Windows 10, will it create a file that will allow me to roll back to Windows 7

With upgrade (not clean install) Windows 10 will create a 20-30GB of Windows 7 restore file : windows.old.
        You will have 10 days to revert to Windows 7 after which the file will be deleted.

Take a full image backup of Windows 7 before the upgrade.

• #2268257 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Noticed that the ISO is only good for 24 hours from heidoc

That is the download link, not the ISO. Once the ISO is on your PC it is valid forever.

Should I do an image of the Windows 7 computer first?

You should already have an image of your PC as a backup, stored on an external HDD, not a USB stick. Use one of the free backup apps to create the image and a restore USB stick – you only need about 4GB for the restore image, at least 100GB on the external HDD.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Professional

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.