News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• How’s your day going?

Home Forums Outside the box The Junk Drawer How’s your day going?

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Author
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

Today was the first pretty day we had in a long time so I opened the front door of the office and me and the dobe were soaking up some fresh air. Him laid out at the door, me doing some website updates.

Nice sized sparrow decides to fly in. He realized he goofed, and wasn’t going back past the dog, who was now standing and salivating, but at least obeying the stay command. I figure best solution is to open the back door as the bird is anxiously trying to get through a closed window.

As he circled overhead to exit he, how shall I put this, pooped down the side of my face! 🙁

3 users thanked author for this post.
        PKCano
        Manager

Yes, a little sunshine feels good for a change!
        No birds in the house, but the two house cats have spent the day alternating lounging on the desk in the middle of what I was doing.

I have been dealing with error code 0x800f0922 on my just-installed Win10 20H2 May CU, until I realized, thanks to a couple of reports, that it was the ChrEdge removal that had caused it. Did it right this time – MAYBE it will stay uninstalled this time. I have been playing at removing all the bloatware that I don’t use from a test VM. Have loaded back third-party programs to make it functional and it comes in at a nifty 19GB fully stocked.

And, speaking along the lines of your problem, it’s time fo me to go scoop. 🙂

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

The.Maryland.State_.Official.Dog_

How is my day going?

Not ideally, thank you for asking: many of us in the USA are now getting our tax forms filled and our tax payments ready for the big annual Tax Day next Monday, the deadline for posting mail or sending or tax forms and payments by either snail mail, or down the Internet (I find the IRS Website horribly designed and temperamental, so I am sticking with delivery of paper-and-ink hard copy by the US Postal Service.)

An interesting fact about this annual ritual is that, traditionally, it takes place on the 17th of April: on that day people, after desperately getting their stuff ready for delivery in the preceding two or three days, as in my case, flock to the near Post Office to get it delivered and, most importantly, stamped with the PO official cancelling rubber stamp that has the date in it. So one can show unquestionable evidence, this way, that our homework was done and delivered properly in time and manner, so please, be nice to us, IRS. This year the government realized that we all need a breather after the unforgettable year we’ve just had, and postponed the day of the big crunch from 17th April to 17th May. So, naturally, we all let one month go by and are now, once more, desperate to get this done by Monday. Which does not do much for our appreciation of the finest things in life.

Now, the instructions on how to fill the many forms correctly come in government booklets. We get two: one from the national government and one from the government of the state where we reside, because we pay tax separately to both. Usually our state booklet has in the second page a photo of the person, so far always a gentleman, in charge of the state taxes, that goes by the impressive title of “Comptroller of Maryland.” But this year, as with so many other things, this is different. As you can see from the attached picture at the top that replaces the usual one in this year’s booklet. Or maybe it does not? Because times are a-changing.

And, yes, we in Maryland do have an Official State Dog (or Official Dog Breed, to be more precise), a breed of dog all our own, named after the part of the state where it originated, “the Chesapeake Bay Retriever.”

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

dmt_3904
          AskWoody Plus

Beautiful dog!  Isn’t it a shame we need booklets that cost taxpayers more money to explain had to do taxes!  I sure wish they would simplify it. We file online, I let our accountant handle it. I’m sure the IRS website is a mess.

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Totally in agreement about the dog. The IRS site was easy to use until now, but has been improved out of usefulness. Although it looks “purttier”, I must admit. Thanks to that, it took me four hours to find all the forms I needed and their instructions. At least the Maryland site is about the same as before, except for an obnoxiously clueless new requirement that one has to use “Acrobat Reader” to see what’s in some of the forms and to edit these to enter one’s info. Now, on this new day, probably a happier one too, I am getting things ready for the Post Office trip, to deliver old-school  my completed homework to the IRS.

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Don’t Buy a Chesapeake Bay Retriever! If…

But that is true for any dog.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

@cyberSAR, that could mean some luck for you. What is probability of this accident? I think you should buy a lottery ticket, or something. At least you made your family smile 🙂

gauss

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

6 users thanked author for this post.
        zeddy
        AskWoody_MVP

Tried riding a bike again today.

First attempt slipped and the crossbar crushed my nuts. Tried again and fell off, front wheel wingnut cracked my head. Tried again. Skidded and handlebar crushed my ribs.

Gave up. It was a vicious cycle.

zeddy

4 users thanked author for this post.
          cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

They say you never forget how to ride a bike. While that may be true, I sure don’t remember it being so tiring 50 years ago! 🙂

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

cyberSar: I also discovered that the saying “you never forget how to ride a bike” has a very limited truth content: years ago I tried riding a bike, not having ridden one since being a teenager, but discovered, after several tries, that I had considerable difficulty staying on top, although successfully riding it (in an excitingly meandering way) between forced stops. However, I concluded, at the end of the experience, that, given that experience, the good exercise of riding a bike was not worth (a) the bother and (b) the risk of serious accidents, so I was not going to try again. And I have not. When out of doors, I get my exercise on foot.

So my issues of the day are tax-related, not bike-related. It does not make my day any better, but that’s the way it is.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

I try my best to limit thinking about tax day. Too depressing! This goofy thread from a bird has helped 🙂

Back when COVID started my daughter bought bikes for my 15 & 16 year-old grandkids. They came by for Paw-Paw to teach them how to ride. They had never ridden a bike before (bad Paw-Paw skills on my part)!

I mounted a bike for the 1st time in at least 40 years. Didn’t have any trouble. Even taught them some trick riding from my younger days 🙂 Only real problem I had was hiding how tired I was from them 🙂

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

At my age, my favorite place to ride a bicycle is on the boardwalk at the beach during the off season.  It’s nice and flat and no hills to wear me out.  I still prefer the old bikes with wide tires, comfortable wide saddle seat, and coaster brakes.  I have no problem riding a bike like that.

MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody MVP

I live out in the country, and I work from home (and have been since long before COVID), but strangely, I hardly ever go outside, even though I can go out into the yard anytime I want to!

When I first moved here years ago, I loved going outside to enjoy the trees, the fresh air, and the birds. But I’ve become an inside person of late. Not sure why.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Like MrJimPhelps described above, I too moved out into the country back in 1974. Back then there were tree lined country roads, not much traffic, horse farms, trees in my backyard, nice neighbors, peace, and quiet.  I was in a little piece of heaven for about 15 years.

Over the years that has all changed drastically.  The little piece of heaven gradually got over-developed, trees got cut down, traffic increased tremendously, many not so nice new people came in, and the noise level around me went way up.

Traffic, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, emergency vehicles, ATV’s, super loud car audio, and insanely loud motorcycles has made me into an inside person too.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

Feel your pain @Charlie. Same thing happened with us. Not quite as bad as the city but nowhere near what it used to be. I remember when traffic lights on our major thoroughfares were off at night. Heck it used to be 1-1/2 miles off the highway on mud/gravel road to get to my place. Now it’s blacktop everywhere! Really can’t think of anything that is better now than it was back then 🙁

cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

Back in the day my son and I would ride our horses a few miles into the city to the only donut shop, tie them up to the newspaper box, and have our coffee and donuts. Never an issue and no odd looks.  Now if you ride along a highway people call the police to report “suspicious” activity!

Charlie
              AskWoody Plus

Yes indeed.  I have fond memories of people riding horses on the road out in front of my home.  One neighbor even gave rides in a buggy.  People back then drove their cars with courtesy for the horses so as not to spook them.  This has not been the case since the early 80’s.

Nowadays the road out front has been blacktopped and people drive at twice the speed limit or more.  Some people use it like a drag strip, and no one would chance taking a horse out on it now.

Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

We can relate to a few comments already made.
            Our street 30+ years ago was quiet with ample parking spaces, friendly neighbors, kept gardens, clean streets with police on the beat.

NOW…

Rat race for a parking space, slumlords and renters, weed gardens, grubby streets, police raids on drug dealers, drunk and disorderlies on weekends, more night racers with LOUD exhausts
            (If only I had a ‘stinger’ )
            Anyone played Kingpin – Life of Crime?
            all in all,
            nice to see and talk about some action round-our-way, it was getting boring 😛

| Quality over Quantity |
              Charlie
              AskWoody Plus

What is a “stinger”?  Would it by any chance be a highly directional, emp device just powerful enough to be capable of stopping the engine in a noisy vehicle?

OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

Charlie, according to Wikipedia:

The FIM-92 Stinger is a man-portable air-defense system (MANPADS) that operates as an infrared homing surface-to-air missile (SAM).

I am fairly sure that it can also be used surface-to-surface, short range. So I would guess that the answer to your query is “YES.”

It is a fine day in Maryland right now, and I just finished filling out all the tax forms, writing out the checks, making the labels for the two envelopes, one for the IRS the other for our (four-legged?) Comptroller of Maryland, stuffing the forms in their corresponding envelopes, sealing each envelope with spit, glue and scotch tape, and filling out and attaching with clips to each of the envelopes the corresponding two little forms for sending them certified.

As once every year, since time beyond memory, I behold my works and feel satisfied. But I shall have no day of rest tomorrow. Instead, tomorrow morning, being Saturday, I’ll make the ultimate sacrifice of getting up early to go to the Post Office to hand over my charges, confidently leaving both there to be delivered to their destinations by the USPS unfailing and speedy service. Ha!

Charlie
                AskWoody Plus

Okay, I’ve heard of those stingers.  Definitely not what I was thinking of for dealing with noisy cars.  I took the easy way out and had my taxes done for me and filed online.  I used to do them myself, but now it’s just too much bother.

NaNoNyMouse
              AskWoody Lounger

Anyone played Kingpin – Life of Crime?

One of my all-time faves

Not so great to actually live in that world though, I’d imagine

cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

He’s Baaack! Goofy bird came back twice today. Only flew in about 5′ and immediately back out each time. Not sure what’s up with him but guess I may need to get a screen door. Starting to feel like I’m in an Alfred Hitchcock movie 🙂

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

cyberSAR: Birds, as I have explained earlier in another thread, are dinosaurs (*). So what can one expect from them? Not discretion and politeness, for sure.

But equating the birds in Hitch’s “The Birds” with your Goofy bird? That is one comparison too far!

(*) According to Wikipedia’s article “The Origin of Birds”: “The present scientific consensus is that they are maniraptoran dinosaurs that evolved during the Miocene.”  The Audubon Society concurs. When one learns about this, one shall never look at birds the same way again. But it can be fun: when I see a little sparrow jumping around in my balcony, I say to it: Hi there, dino! How’s it going? Maybe you could try that with Goofy next time and, perhaps, that could lead to a new, different and mutually rewarding relationship.

cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

bird
        Wife reminded me that we had a bird fly in about 15 years ago. At least that little fella didn’t do his business down the side of my face 🙂 Have a great weekend!

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Well, now I am done with my Taxes and have entrusted, this morning, the paperwork and payments to the US Postal Service for their swift and timely delivery to the respective Federal and State Offices for their scrutiny, I am having a swell time in a very fine afternoon, listening to music, writing letters (email), eating the occasional treat, listening to the dinosaurs (*) singing in the magnificent trees, now in full verdor, of the Natural Reserve next to where I live, and generally lazing about. Wish you are too, or that, if not right now, soon you’ll be.

(*) See my previous comment, scrolling up a short distance above this one.

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Wow Oscar, you are cutting it very close as far as the Federal taxes go.  Let’s hope it gets postmarked before the 17th.  Surely you know that using the US Postal Service, and “swift and timely delivery” in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Charlie,

In another quiet and relaxed day, with windows open to let the air inside be renewed and cleansed with fresh one from outside that, at the moment, is coming in laden with the pleasing sounds of dinosaurs in full song, some out there, in the trees, some kept by neighbors, and also with the sounds of the neighborhood’s wind chimes, I must reiterate here that I posted my Tax forms and checks, yesterday morning, May the 15th, via certified mail, getting the two envelopes (one for the IRS, the other for our beloved Comptroller of Maryland)  appropriately stamped, with the date and all, by a nice lady at the local Post Office who was actually behind one of the windows for attention to the public, so the dated-stamping was for real — I tend to think. As to the PO being what I wrote being an oxymoron, well … why shouldn’t it be so? Isn’t it so all of life?

And, yes, I admit to cutting it close, but that is the way I am and, so far, I have found no compelling reason why I should be any different in this particular respect. (And that also goes for more than when I do my taxes.)

Now, then: Considering myself definitely over and done with tax duty for another 11 months, or even 12 (because you never know), I do wish you and your family a most pleasant and fine day, as well.

With kind regards.

OscarCP

P.S.: I was surprised, yesterday, at the Post Office, to see that there were only a few people waiting to have their mail and packages posted. I asked about that to the nice lady already mentioned further up, and she told me that most people had been there to post their tax forms&checks on April 17th, when this year’s big crowds actually mobbed the PO, because most those in that crowd did not know about the change of date.

Charlie
              AskWoody Plus

Okay, certified mail should be okay with an emphasis on the word should.  I didn’t mean to spoil your good mood but the experiences I have had with the US Postal Service where I live have not been good. I’ll spare you the details as most people I know have had the same bad experiences that I’ve had.

OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

Charlie, my good days, when they are good, are beyond mortals’ power to spoil (well, maybe if someone, in the restricted loading/unloading area several floors below my window starts playing hip hop real loud in a car radio with the door of the car open, while waiting for his girlfriend to finish doing herself up or something, that might becloud it just a little. But a few well-chosen words pronounced at an even higher volume than that of the music usually does the trick).

As to Post Office quality (or more precisely, the quality of the staff): In my area there are two PO, one for my Zip Code, the other actually for a different one. The first one, my official PO is really bad news; the other one, not in my postal area, strictly speaking, but a five-minute drive from home, is really good. Guess which one I chose to take my taxes to be mailed? Or take anything, for that matter? I would go to “my” PO only in extremis.

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Isn’t it uncanny how good these little worm eaters’ aim is!  And they’re intelligent too – you need to get your freshly washed car into the garage post haste or you will later find it covered with their droppings.

(Reply to the original post)

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

No kidding! We have geese that fly over every morning and evening and they get the wife’s car often. My old trucks, parked just feet away, never get hit 🙂

This has been a fun thread for me. Brought back many memories. About 30 years ago we had a cockatiel that was a great escape artist. He’d get out, zoom around the house and land on my doberman’s head. They would sit there like that for ages. Couldn’t believe it the first time it happened. That dog loved the bird and would sit totally still as long as he was on his head or back. Good times 🙂

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

My car is reserved for the really big dinosaurs, those that fly by and drop accurately the really big white/cream bombs. The little ones don’t touch it.

By the way, now that warm days are starting around here, it should be any time now that the 17-year cicadas will come out by the millions and millions into the warm air and sing very loudly and fly around and start up a new 17-year brood and then, weeks later, die, carpeting the floor with their little dead bodies, and the local dinosaurs are just going to love it and have a feast, as they have been doing for so many millions of years, since the unimaginably long ago days of the Miocene Epoch when they diversified in forms today hopping around, having had their absolute start date in the even far more distant days of the Cretaceous. The cicadas, that were already there since far earlier days, had been doing their cicada things for nearly sixty million years by the time that Archaeopteryx left its imprint on soft mud that with time turned into a finest-grained lithographic limestone.

As to the Canadian geese migrating south and making a regular stop in my neighborhood in the Fall: it is amazing to see their V-formations pass by my windows in the six floor, flying low, with their members looking for somewhere convenient to alight. And they do alight in the large green grassy areas that are all around here. At NASA’s Goddard they love a field with a natural lake where they can forage for food and have plenty to drink. Of course, what goes in must come out, mostly (except for the part that becomes Canadian geese) and one has to be careful not to step on it, because their bathroom  habits are not the best.

Waiting for Nature to reveal its mysterious gifts, I am having a nice day enjoying the newly arrived warmer air and puzzling out some interesting things I have to do for my job, any time now.

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

I get egrets visiting my pond but it’s not large enough for the geese. Have a couple lakes around me and I’m directly in their flight path. I love the sqwaking and flying patterns but their droppings I could do without!

cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

My friend flew back in again today! Circled the office tweeting and flew right back out. Starting to think maybe he’s a vulture and checking to see if I keeled over yet 🙂

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

And Brood X magicicadas still not yet out around where I live. I am wondering if something happened to them There should have started showing up and whirring away like crazy now that the weather has turned warmer for the last two days and is favorable for their coming out, molting successfully from their nymph to their adult suits and flying around, the males to find some nice place to start whirring their love songs and the females to find a nice male to hook up with, before their short season in the Sun to enjoy the big outdoors and produce the next Brood X, that is due to come out seventeen years hence, is all done and they are dead.

Some might have come out earlier, when it was too unusually cold, could not molt properly and died. Birds (dinosaurs) pecked at them partially. Not a nice sight, I must add. They are out already  in other places in this area, but here, with plenty of nice old trees, not yet.

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

I see a lot of people sharing recipes in anticipation. Are you going to partake?

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

We’re seeing quite a few here in my neck of the woods, but not so many as to be disturbing. The present day dinosaurs are having a feast during the day.  We can hear them making their noise way off in the distance where there’s a lot of woods, but not here where I live.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

CyberSAR: Eat them myself?

Sacrilege! The dinosaurs must have them, by ancestral right.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Oh CyberSAR! In my, by now, rather long life, I have partaken of: poisonous snakes (dead, skinned and grilled, without the head&fangs, as well as crocodile, frog, vizcacha, Rocky Mountain Oysters, dog ribs (just once, Chinese style, and going from my helping, already pretty much dead and definitely not a nice little puppy Owww!) and a few more, let’s just say, unconventional fare not to be found at the Deny’s.

Cats? I don’t think so, unless some was served to me under false pretenses. Which happens, when one happens to be at the right wrong place, as I might have been.

But goat is not something I’ll go for, unless it is properly marinated, middle-eastern like, to eliminate the strong goatish flavor. As to nutria? Hmm, I did not think of that … Maybe I’ll put it my bucket list?  Insects? I keep an open mind, but nothing comes to it I would especially fancy, right now.

And still no cicadas. Although now being night, at the end of another nice day, thank you for not asking, one wouldn’t know.

wavy
          AskWoody Plus

goat stew is delicious !!

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
            cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

goat stew is delicious !!

That’s what I hear, but not to someone who had pet goats and performed CPR a few times on one! :-0

cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

If you’ve ever been around a Billy, you wouldn’t want to eat them. They’re disgusting in ways I won’t describe. But then again, chicken and crayfish aren’t the cleanest and I eat them 🙂

To be honest goats have always been a favorite pet of mine. They cause a bunch of trouble but they are fun and funny and almost maintenance free. Oh the stories I could tell!

anonymous

y cabrito asado tambien!

Bob99
            AskWoody Plus

y cabrito asado tambien!

Translation for others: “and grilled goat also!”

anonymous

barbecued – it’s a South of the Border thing.

anonymous

barbecued…

Then it would be called “a la parrilla” I would think.

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Bob99: “Translation for others: “and grilled goat also!”

Actually, “and grilled kid also” (‘kid’ here meaning a baby goat and not the main ingredient in a meal often served at devil-worshipers’ Black Sabbaths.)

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

It takes all sorts to make a world, the saying goes. But this is one sort too far for me and it is more than I could bear:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/05/a-maryland-candy-company-is-cooking-up-chocolate-covered-cicadas/

Several recipes in there. Oh the sacrilegious abominations! And in the Great State of the Baltimore Oriole bird, nonetheless! Well! I would never!

Knowing this does not improve my day. It was definitely going better before I read this article.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Here is something I have just discovered, from a bunch of entomologists (with lots of nerve, I should say!) from no other than the main campus of UofMD! How very disappointing!
        So don’t ask me tomorrow how my day is going! It will be going the same as the day after tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that .. until I can unlearn what I have been finding out here today!

http://cicadacrewumd.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/2/5/112598151/cicada-licious_cookbook_cover_jennajandin_umdentm_2004.pdf

If you feel driven by unhealthy curiosity to learn more, in particular recipes, peruse yourself the rest of the reading material in the article and leave me out of it, please!

And let’s not forget this old, serious question: “What is worse to find in your salad: a whole bug or half a bug?”

Some choice excerpts:

Eating bugs sounds disgusting? If you have ever eaten a crawfish,
        lobster, crab, or shrimp then you have already eaten members of the
        class Arthropoda, of which insects are a part. So popping a big juicy
        beetle, cricket, or cicada into your mouth is only a step away.
        You have, in fact, probably already eaten many pounds of insects in
        your lifetime. Most Americans don’t realize that they are eating a pound
        or two of insects each year. This is because insects are a part of all
        processed foods from bread to tomato ketchup–it’s impossible to keep
        mass-produced food 100% insect-free.

There are regulations stating the maximum amount of bug bits that food can contain and still be fit for human consumption. These bits, unseen, have been ground up into tiny
        pieces in such items as strawberry jams, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce,
        applesauce, frozen chopped broccoli, etc. For example, the “Food Defect
        Action Levels”, as currently defined by the Food and Drug
        Administration state that macaroni and noodle products can have 225 or
        more insect parts per 225 grams of product (4). This may sound
        disgusting, but these insect parts actually make some food products
        more nutritious.

Many people all over the world eat insects and other arthropods both as
        a delicacy and staple. This is sensible because insects are nutritious.
        Insects provide as much protein pound per pound as lean beef. For
        example, every 100 gram serving of each, termites provide 617 calories
        of energy while lean ground beef gives 219 and cod gives 170 (3).
        Overall, over 1,000 insect species are eaten by humans (2).
        Archaeological evidence tells us that entomophagy has been practiced since
        mankind first made an appearance on this planet.

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Most ordinary people only eat the tail of a lobster and maybe the claws.  We cut the heads off of shrimp and often de-vein them too, don’t like having heads and eyes looking at us as we eat them.  Crabs have to be pulled apart and legs cracked open to get the edible meat which must be picked or cut out.  Blue crabs are very popular in Maryland around the bay.

In each case we don’t eat the head, eyes, antennae, or the guts inside (shrimp may be the only exception to the guts part).  I’m one who cannot imagine eating insects even though I know many are okay to eat.

cyberSAR
            AskWoody Plus

Down here we boil shrimp and crayfish with the heads on. You ain’t a true coon @$$ if you don’t suck the head of crayfish. That’s where all the good boil resides! We also eat the fat and eggs out of boiled crabs. We don’t eat the eyes though  🙂

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Raw shrimp are bought with the heads on and it is up to one when eating them weather to keep the head or not. Boiled shrimp are sold without the head and “deveined”, meaning the gut as been removed already. Here, in the Great State of Orioles, people can get them fresh and cooked right before having them bagged and passed to the buyer over the counter.

I have observed crayfish in my local supermarket, but I am not sure what one is supposed to do with one of those. They look like some kind of fish bait, to me. Like they were trying to become shrimp, but did not make it.

And still not a single whir from even one little cicada in the forest right to where I live, or anything else around here. Yet the news are that they are coming out even in my area. This is starting to feel rather ominous.

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

The rather subdued sounds the cicadas, around here, are making right now, and why they are late starters this year, as explained in this article, is because of the unseasonable cool weeks we have been having of late that have kept many from coming out, and also because the males stopped singing when the heavens started to pour quite a bit of rain on them, three days ago, in a rather inconveniently timed cold shower:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/06/02/cicadas-sound-noise-weather/

An interesting bit of cicada knowledge we all can use, excerpted from the article:

Besides chorusing [technical bug-specialists word for “singing together”], cicadas make distress calls when they are disturbed. It’s a loud, shrill sound. “If the cicada raises a ruckus when you handle it, it must be a hysterical male,” Gruner wrote. “By comparison, the females are calm, stoic, and silent.

Male cicadas also make distress calls when animals eat them. Two days ago, one of my two dachshunds, Peanut, ate a cicada that was screeching as it was swallowed. That cicada continued its distress calls from inside my dog for 20+ seconds. Finally, I picked up Peanut, and the sound was quite clear and distinct, projecting from inside her stomach. It was sad but fascinating.

And even more scientifically accurate cicada lore, to get people around here over their suburban-legend-laden and even slanderous cicada misinformation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths/five-myths-about-periodical-cicadas/2021/05/06/2d34bc8a-acf4-11eb-acd3-24b44a57093a_story.html

And here is a picture of one of them in person!

(A female lying eggs inside a twig, doing her part to help get the next generation of Brood X cicadas under way, so they come out and their favorite song can be heard once more, seventeen year’s hence, by those of us still here.)

Magicicada_cassini_female_ovipositing_-_journal.pone_.0000892.g005

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Wavy (comment below this one), I appreciate your concern in warning me about allergies if I start eating the cicadas.

First of all: I am not afflicted, that I know, by any food allergy. If I had any, my diet having been less than conventional at times, I would probably have noticed by now.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I consider eating the cicadas as being sacrilegious.

Finally, I don’t want to go around with cicadas screaming blue murder from inside my gut, as in the case of Peanut.

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

BTW If on is allergic to crab, shrimp … maybe stay away from the cicada feast as there are many similarities that may affect you all being arthropods and all 🦞🦀🦗🐜

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

cyberSAR, did you buy the Lottery Ticket ?

Yes, the wife purchased one Saturday after @doriel‘s suggestion. We both forgot about it but will check the numbers when she gets home. Thanks for the reminder!

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I hope your wife did not wash already the trousers she was wearing when she bought and then put and left the lottery ticket in one of the pockets and, subsequently, forgot she had left it there and now she, you, your children, the dog, the cat, the canary and the goldfish are jointly not having, or about to not have, a good day. As it happened in California to a woman quite recently in the news, that washed away US$26,000,000 this way:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57114728

For my part, my day, today, continues to be the same as my previously reported blissfully blue-sky, warm, dinosaur-sang, mellow days

Viewing 20 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: How’s your day going?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.